• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Buckethead

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
Not really someone I had spent much time listening to in the past. I knew he is a rather, er, eccentric fellow, and quite prolific. Some have said his guitar work shreds, others that it is derivative and unimaginative. But regardless, the style of playing I *THOUGHT* he played was not very interesting to me, so I just didn't bother finding out more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Come to find out that he also does 'ambient' guitar work. I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2NaJOeJoE&feature=colike

I'm really rather pleasantly surprised. I don't care what you call this kind of music; whatever it is, I am enjoying it. I have no real interest in joining the 'cult' of followers, but I do believe I will see if I can run down a few of his albums, especially if they are like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVwgMvHFbP0&feature=colike

Anyone else have anything interesting to share about this guy and his guitar work?

http://youtu.be/lCudXpXrIA8
 
Register to hide this ad
He's, well, interesting. Not quite my thing, but I haven't totally immersed myself in all of his output (there's a lot!) so I won't conclude that for sure as of yet.
 
He's not my thing, either. I didn't realize he had so much material!
I thought the Ozzy quote from wikipedia was pretty funny. And being called inconsistent and erratic by Axl Rose is worthy of being put on a resume. Or a T shirt.:D
 
I have seen him a few times and his guitar work is really good. His show is fun and unusual, which is a good thing.
It's not really my cup of tea musically but it's fun to see someone who has mastered his instrument doing something that's a bit out of the ordinary.
 
I like this a lot.

Buckethead with Les Claypool, Bernie Worrell, and Brain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEDB4xJsXVo

That's nice! A little on the hard jazz edge for me, but quite nice. I'm actually getting pretty enthused about his ambient guitar work, which is entirely different; very contemplative. This is virtuoso stuff here; incredible for showing what he can do, but not my thing (yet). Thanks, though!
 
He's, well, interesting. Not quite my thing, but I haven't totally immersed myself in all of his output (there's a lot!) so I won't conclude that for sure as of yet.

That was my thought, and I certainly haven't immersed myself, but I stumbled on his ambient stuff and that caught my attention. It certainly seems his talent and interests are wide-ranging.
 
That was my thought, and I certainly haven't immersed myself, but I stumbled on his ambient stuff and that caught my attention. It certainly seems his talent and interests are wide-ranging.

Yep, part of the reason why I haven't tried out all or even most of his stuff yet, and, since it is so varied, I won't conclude that I do or do not like him from the handful of cds I do have from him.

All the rest are on that never ending "to get and listen to someday" list...
 
Buckethead has been around awhile....saw him in concert years ago when his "Monsters and Robots" CD came out.....enjoyed the event...he can really work that guitar...
 
some musicians are said to be "technically superior" due the mastery of their instrument, while others are just plain fun to listen to. Many say Buckethead is in the first group...I think he's a lot of both.
 
His recordings have been hit and miss for me, but I got to see him live when I was in college, and it was truly an amazing show...
 
Electric Tears is an amazing album, very laid back and soft all the way through. If the shredding Buckethead isn't your thing this album is the polar opposite and is a great way to discover his creativity.
 
Back
Top Bottom