• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Budget (but quality) power conditioner, surge suppressors?

Pioneer!

Active Member
I haven't really experienced any issues in the past with surges or anything, but I was considering making an upgrade to my protection for my system, plus possibly throwing in line conditioning as well.

I currently do own a power conditioner, but I am using it for my home theater system. It's a Belkin PureAV PF30 power conditioner with 1 nanosecond spike relay cutoff, 165K amp spike current protection and 3245 Joules of surge protection.

I was considering getting another one of these, it wouldnt run me too much, but I was curious to know if there is something out there that can compare to or beat this. I have been looking at the Furman conditioners, and I like the clamp dissipation these have (its protection system doesn't blow out, and is reusable), but they don't stop all that much inrush current. If possible I want to stay under $150 max, but would rather stay under $100.

Right now I am using a rather puny Monster HT700 (better than the CyberPower PC surge strip I was using), and I don't really feel all that confident with it considering I have 4 receivers, a tuner, a tape deck and CD player, as well as a TT connected up to it.
 
Register to hide this ad
[Edit: Just realized this post is two months old...so how did this turn out?]

I just came across an APC H10 used but this model is still on the market. Not under $100 new but less than $200. Specs say it has a peak surge current of 230K amps, surge protection 4720 J. So it sounds comparable to what you're looking at. I think you are more knowledgeable than me because you can use 'clamp dissipation' in a sentence, but anyway here's one more model that may be in your range. I haven't plugged mine in yet but it seems solidly built.
 
Depends on what you want. For surge protection you'd be better off with a whole house unit installed into the power meter or at the service panel.
I took a very long hiatus as I was moving into a new apartment. Sorry! That being said, modifying the electrical panel is off limits for sure.
 
Back
Top Bottom