• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Budget for new turntable under 3000.

Register to hide this ad
My recommendation is to go for a VPI Scoutmaster II with the 2M Black. I upgraded from an RP3 with Groovertracer ref. sub-platter, delrin platter, and counterweight. I also had the Rega white belt and Music Hall Cruise Control for my RP3. IMO there is no comparison, the VPI crushes the Rega. Much more substantial bass, lower noise, more detailed, and overall more dynamic. I used the same 2M Black on both tables. The improvement was substantial. This will push your budget to just about $3000, but it is worth every penny. Good luck!


PS. A Classic 1 should also fit that budget as well.
 
You can, for sure, get much further into sound quality than those two you suggest withing that budget.
 
Or the WT Simplex...I have one coming here to demo and compare against my VPI Scout. The Amadeus w/ cart will punch above 3K. The Simplex with a nice cart will be just under 3K.

Many reviews point to Well Tempered performing well above it's price point...we will soon find out :music:

Both tables will use the 10x5 in my comparison.

http://www.welltemperedlab.net/welltemperedlab/

Make sure you Google the reviews...
 
WTL tables are purely built around function...so follows the form.

I let my ears be the judge...good looks don't necessarily equal good sound.

But hey...it's great to have so many choices :music:

The Scout is a very good table. I have mine mated up with a Dynavector 10x5 and it's a great combination. It will easily fit your budget. Just make sure whoever you decide to buy from has a good reputation for service.
 
Do you have a "good" phono stage already? If not that is something I wouldn't neglect. A phono stage has a huge impact on sound.

I personally would look for a b stock or open box VPI classic 1 and would probably get a dynavector 20x2L or H if you don't have a MC phono stage.
 
Do you have a "good" phono stage already? If not that is something I wouldn't neglect. A phono stage has a huge impact on sound.

I personally would look for a b stock or open box VPI classic 1 and would probably get a dynavector 20x2L or H if you don't have a MC phono stage.
+1 to this entire post. If you're phono stage isn't up to the task, you'll be strangling much of the performance improvements you would realize from a higher-quality 'table and cartridge.

Check AK vendor Soundstage Direct for good deals on openbox VPI's. Or call MusicDirect or Elusive Disc and ask them about open box/demo deals.
 
I wouldn't touch that 1200.....not for $2500. Your $2500 would be better invested in something else. Other responders have provided excellent alternatives.

I think a Technics SL-1200 would be an excellent choice. I agree with Polypoid, NOT that particular one.

IMO, better to buy a new-in-box Technics (I believe there are some still out there), or gently used and then send it to KAB for mods, if desired.

That would be my first choice, assuming a budget of $3K.
 
I think a Technics SL-1200 would be an excellent choice. I agree with Polypoid, NOT that particular one.

IMO, better to buy a new-in-box Technics (I believe there are some still out there), or gently used and then send it to KAB for mods, if desired.

That would be my first choice, assuming a budget of $3K.





......and a new in box 1200 would cost a lot less than $3000
 
Well obviously the used market is something you would consider, so there are a lot of tables that bear investigating. I think it bears considering what type of table you are interested in to start with. Whether it is suspended, high mass un-suspeneded, low mass un-suspended, idler drive, direct drive, vintage Japanese, and so forth. How old are you willing to consider for that price range, and how finicky?

I personally find that the high mass un-suspended tables provide the musical presentation I appreciate. I would look at something along the lines of a Scheu Premier II, a used Teres Audio 225, I would investigate the Project 9.1 and 10.1...and the Project 9 and 10 EVO arms are quite decent. There are other companies to look at such as Trans Rotor, Avid, Acoustic Signature, Nottingham and so forth. Not sure if these have products that fall in your price range, but quite possibly.

If you need a serperate arm, it is hard to go wrong with a used SME 309, the Audio Mods Rega variant, a Clear Audio Satisfy, or a high end Rega like the 900 or 1000. But the key will be finding a good condition used one at this budget level.

As far as cartridges, the Black is considered to be a fine cartridge. My personal favorite would be a Sumiko Blackbird though. It is a bit more money, but it is a high output moving coil that can be used into a MM input. This is a fine cartridge by any stretch of the imagination, and I thought it close in sound quality to a very expensive MC that I currently use. There will be more detail than the Black with it, but the Ortofon will have a smoothness and easy going quality that is not as apparent with the MC cartridge.

Just the opinion of a simple pig. We like good food, warm sun, and soft hay. If you want a different opinion go ask the cows for they are wise. Do not talk to the chickens, as fowl are known liars and cheat at cards.

PS. There are some bell weather standards to consider. A B stock VPI CLassic can be had for around 2K. There is also the Clearaudio Concept which is a nice table for an affordable price. A package deal on the Marantz version can also be had for a decent price I hear. My personal choice would be the B stock VPI.


Regards
Mister Pig
 
Back
Top Bottom