• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Budget Headphone Recommendations

dclovell

Back into vinyl
I currently listen to vinyl and CD’s through an older Insignia 5.1 home theater amplifier. I would like to get an inexpensive pair of headphones to listen later at night after my wife goes to bed. I’ve tried using wired earbuds but they seem lacking. Not loud and almost like an AM radio sound.

All that being said, can some folks recommend some cans? I wouldn’t use these all that often so $20 to $50 is what I’d like to spend.

Turntable is a Music Hall MMF1.5 with a built in amp.

Thank you in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
I like the very cheap Sony MDR-ZX110 phones. They're even better if used with a PC and some EQ, but they're quite good on their own:

Though they haven't been made in a while, I really like the Sony MDR-V4. They show up on eBay.
 
Some of the early 80s vintge headphones are still worth a listen.
I've found these quite cheap on ebay :

Ross RE-257 ( slim version or first version)
Ross RE-261
Ross RE-265

With a little eq-ing all of the above can sound very nice for peanuts.
 
I wonder if you bought the right earbuds. I've tried several different under $20 models that sounded way better than I expected for the price. But you want IEMs, not simply regular earbuds. These seem to be well liked and they're only 15 bucks. But earbuds/IEMs only work properly if you get a good seal in your ear canal.
 
I wonder if you bought the right earbuds. I've tried several different under $20 models that sounded way better than I expected for the price. But you want IEMs, not simply regular earbuds. These seem to be well liked and they're only 15 bucks. But earbuds/IEMs only work properly if you get a good seal in your ear canal.
Thank you for the response. The ear buds I have, work well on my phone and computer. They have a good seal. It’s through my receiver that they sound lacking.
 
The ear buds I have, work well on my phone and computer. They have a good seal. It’s through my receiver that they sound lacking.
That's very strange; usually it's the opposite problem. Maybe an impedance mismatch issue? Have you verified that your receiver's headphone out works well with other phones?
 
That's very strange; usually it's the opposite problem. Maybe an impedance mismatch issue? Have you verified that your receiver's headphone out works well with other phones?
Agreed. Last night I tried some cheap Apple knockoffs and they sounded better, so it may be an impedance thing. Also my receiver does not have a built in phono preamp. I’m using what is built into my turntable. Maybe that is part of the low volume issue.

I did also try listening to a CD and my television through the earbuds and definitely more volume but still lacking.
 
Back
Top Bottom