• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Building a Markwart crossover, quick question

Bkphoto

Super Member
Hey,

soon my Stonehenge style cabs for my 605b’s will be shipped…getting ready to build my crossovers from the plans at Great Plains audio…(605b phase corrected)

just wondering if anyone has any pics so I can see how others laid out their components..

thanks
Brent
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have the best pic, but here's one that might be helpful from my 605a markwart crossovers. I should note these are the simple ones w/o the mid frequency EQ.

I got some cheap perf board and mounted it all on there. I put the the rheostat on the bracing... I just reach in my port to adjust the tweeter level lol (I built 620 cabs, so not stonehedge). Don't ask why I have such a weird assortment of caps on the HF... it's what I had around, get's me to the right value, and it sounds fantastic (why mess with success :) ).

There are more elegant ways to do it, but this works. Just make sure to do a good job with solder joints and you'll be in business. It ain't rocket science.

crossover.jpeg
 
That’s perfect, I appreciate it….been restoring speakers for a number of years but never a ground up build like this…really looking forward to it…
 
586.jpeg Bozak use to place their coils one in the vertical plane and the other perpendicular to the first so they didn't interact with each other. This sales brochure is from the late 50's and very early 60's. Over time the components in the capacitor resistor box changed, but it wasn't until the late 60's when the units were set up to either use the passive or to be bi-amped that the crossovers were totally changed.
 
Last edited:
This picture is always handy.
09C34F3C-558C-4145-A9D4-A4FB78E15DA2.gif

I don’t have any pics of my Markwarts xovers that I can find, but I just googled pics of crossovers and copied some that I liked.

I used motor run caps on mine, and left out the Lpad. I talked to Jeff and he told me a range of resistors I could use to replace the Lpad. I tried out a few values before deciding on the right one.
 
Didn't Billfort use Markwarts in his Duplex build? Seems I remember studying pictures of his crossovers when I was gathering parts and planning for my Markwart xover build.
 
I used Genteq caps on mine, which I think are made by GE. I noticed both those guys used GE caps.
Now I think Genteq are called Capcom.

Anyways, i probably copied both those guys designs. I see one thread is 2005 and the other is 2015. I build mine around 2017
 
Back
Top Bottom