• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Building My McIntosh System for Life – MA9500, MA12000, MC205, MC207 or MC255? Looking for Advice!

TurboT84

New Member
Hi everyone,


I’ve been passionate about Hi-Fi since I was a kid, and I’m finally looking to fulfill a long-time dream: building a beautiful McIntosh system that will hopefully stay with me for the rest of my life.


I’m not necessarily interested in owning the latest equipment. I’d much rather invest in somiething truly special now and enjoy it for the next 20–30 years, or even longer. My absolute budget limit is around €20,000–25,000, although I’d be more than happy to spend less. I’m definitely open to buying well-maintained used equipment.


My current setup:


  • Front speakers: 2 × Arendal 1723 Tower S
  • Center: Arendal 1723 Center S
  • Surrounds: 2 × Arendal 1723 Surround THX
  • Subwoofers: 2 × Arendal Avalanche 1000 DSP
  • Planned: 2 × Arendal height speakers
  • AV receiver: Denon AVC-X6500H
  • Stereo power amplifier: Vincent SP-332

My thoughts on McIntosh


For the front speakers, I’m currently considering either the MA9500 or the MA12000. For the remaining channels, I’m looking at the MC205, MC207, or MC255. The MC255 is particularly interesting, but it seems to be quite difficult to find on the used market.


I’ve actually found a used MA12000 for €9,500, which is very tempting. However, I’m still unsure whether that’s a good deal or if I should keep looking. Since I’m hoping to keep this amplifier for the rest of my life, I’d really appreciate your thoughts on the price and what to look out for when buying one used. Would a less expensive MA9500 perhaps be the smarter choice?


One of my main priorities is making sure stereo and home theater work seamlessly together.


For stereo listening, I’d like to use the McIntosh directly. For home theater, I want to keep my Denon as the main AV processor and integrate the front speakers through the McIntosh Home Theater PassThru feature.


That’s one of the reasons I’ve narrowed my choices down to these two integrated amplifiers. I want the home theater integration to be as straightforward as possible, while also having a built-in DAC and phono inputs for future flexibility.


Originally, I was considering going with a complete McIntosh setup using the MX124 as the main AV processor. However, I’ve started having second thoughts. Apart from the very high price, I’m concerned about how quickly AV technology can become outdated, especially HDMI standards, software, and surround sound formats.


My current thinking is that it makes more sense to buy McIntosh amplification that I can hopefully keep for life, while leaving the option to replace the AV receiver whenever technology moves on. For now, I’d keep my existing Denon.


I’d also like to keep both subwoofers connected to the Denon so I can continue using its room correction and bass management for home theater. Making sure the entire system works properly together is very important to me.


For music, I mainly stream Spotify from my iPhone, and I’m planning to add an Eversolo T10 as a digital transport.


I’ve also been collecting vinyl records since I was a kid and have a small collection. I’m currently using a Vestax PDX A2 turntable, but I’m considering upgrading to something more serious in the future, possibly a Luxman or another high-quality turntable at a more reasonable price. That’s another reason why I like the phono capabilities of the McIntosh integrated amplifiers.


Another important topic: Ventilation and cabinet installation


I’m having a custom stainless steel audio cabinet built, approximately 300 cm wide, 45 cm high, and 55 cm deep (roughly 118 × 18 × 22 inches).


Each McIntosh component will have its own compartment, approximately 60 cm (24 inches) wide.


The compartments will be completely open at the front. At the back, the rear panel will remain in place, but each compartment will have a large rectangular cutout. These openings will be approximately 2 cm (0.8 inches) wider on each side and about 5 cm (2 inches) taller overall than the component itself.


After reading the McIntosh owner’s manuals, I noticed that the manufacturer specifies quite generous ventilation clearances for cabinet installations, including space above the units and, in some cases, additional ventilation openings underneath.


This surprised me a little, since I’ve seen plenty of photos of McIntosh equipment installed in regular Hi-Fi furniture without any obvious special ventilation arrangements.


I’ve even considered adding a raised false floor of around 5 cm (2 inches) with an additional airflow channel underneath the components. However, I’d really prefer to avoid that for aesthetic reasons if it isn’t actually necessary.


So I’d love to hear your opinions on a few things:


  1. Which combination would you recommend: MA9500 or MA12000 paired with an MC205, MC207, or MC255? Or would you suggest something completely different?
  2. Does it actually make sense to use a separate McIntosh integrated stereo amplifier for my front speakers, or would a single multichannel power amplifier be the better approach?
  3. Will the integration with my Denon through Home Theater PassThru work the way I’m imagining, especially regarding the two subwoofers, room correction, and bass management?
  4. What are your experiences with these McIntosh models regarding long-term reliability, servicing, and availability of replacement parts?
  5. And perhaps most importantly, how critical is ventilation in my planned cabinet? Would the completely open front and generous rear cutouts provide sufficient airflow, or are additional ventilation openings underneath the amplifiers really necessary?

I realize there are many different ways to build a system at this price level. My goal isn’t to spend as much money as possible, but to put together something really well thought out, high-quality, and built to last.


Maybe some of you have experience with similar setups or have owned these McIntosh models for many years.


I’d really appreciate your thoughts, advice, and honest opinions!


Thanks in advance!


Best regards
 
Register to hide this ad
A lot of information, a lot of questions, and for me a bit hard to follow.

I am not familiar with most of the equipment that you have listed, I have always stayed with discreet amp/preamp/streamer/etc. equipment. My Home Theatre has always been a different system in a different room, so the pass-through features have not been of any use to me either. I know less about what you have available on your side of the pond.

However on furniture, I have had many different setups over the years including everything from professional 12U racks, custom and customizable audio racks, and also modified living-room furniture for a more formal look. In most cases I had ample space around the McIntosh gear for cooling, but no open shelf below. I don’t push my equipment very hard however so it doesn’t get very warm.

I suspect that the clearances that McIntosh specifies are designed for running the gear at maximum performance levels, and for those of us who use a fraction of its capability somewhat less is necessary.

You’ll have to decide whether you’re comfortable with less cooling than specified by McIntosh, or possibly add a fan (fans?) to circulate air.
 
Call Audio Classics in Vestal, NY. Better yet, visit them and have them set up a tour of the nearby McIntosh Labs in Binghamton. They can advise you better than anyone else, and they most likely have all of these McIntosh pieces in stock and can field all of your questions. Mating the amps with your speakers and Denon is the key. And, from my experience, each McIntosh amp I’ve had or auditioned sounded different. They might suggest other options to consider.

Regarding reliability, anything McIntosh you buy from AC will be serviced, up to spec, and guaranteed. Older equipment raises more issues, obviously, but McIntosh amps and preamps are built to last. My tuner is nearly 60 years old. Any of the McIntosh pieces you mention should be fine—just different.

Regarding ventilation, to cool your equipment you have to have vents both below and above each piece so that the air can be drawn in from below and exit through the top (heat rises). Better yet, install fans: one to draw the air in at the bottom and one to draw the air out at the top. Obviously, some equipment (amplifiers, especially tube amps) creates more heat than others. McIntosh generally requires 6” above and below, which, for most pieces, is very generous. But heat does lessen their lifetimes.
 
Back
Top Bottom