• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Building on a Budget

Sailnir

Member
I have left home to study in college. Unfortunately that means that a lot of the equipment that I used to enjoy stays home while I am here. I am now looking to buy a sound system. So, I want to know what would be your dream system using new or vintage sound equipment on a budget of $500, $1000 and (even though it is expensive) $2000. I already have access to a moderate turntable but I listen to music digitally and on vinyl. Ideally I will be using this system for both music and movies.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not into vintage … but as far as new … if I was in your position .. might look into PS Audio Sprout.

Caveat: I don't own it .. just looks like an interesting product .. might be worth some homework.
$600 for the new version.

 
What is your living situation while away at college--a dorm room, apartment, house, or fraternity residence? Just asking out of space considerations and neighbor annoyance factors.
 
You can do cheaper than the Sprout if you wanna mess with individual components....but as an all in one unit, I gotta say it's pretty damn interesting.
Would like to hear one myself. IcePower Class D modules in the box.

Actually as someone eligible for Social Security, it's not the easiest thing for me to imagine what a young person might want these days.
 
College? Be prepared to sacrifice your gear to the inevitable drunken parties you and your room mates will host. Get a used TOTL AVR and a TOTL Blu-Ray or DVD player. Photo shows my Denon AVR-4806CI, Panasonic DVD-H1000, and Yamaha NX-E100. Old but awesome sounding and dirt cheap. I put this system together for $150. You could give up a little sound quality for video capability and get a Denon Blu-Ray player such as the DVD-1800BD. It will up convert DVD's to HD. I would top it off with a 2010 or newer Panasonic plasma TV off CL. I got a 50 incher not too long ago for $100.

yEFWkOk.jpg
 
My final upgraded system in college when I graduated in 2016 was a Kenwood KR-5030 and Boston Acoustics VR20s. It rocked. I also had 7.1 with a Yamaha RX-V663, the VR20s, 5 more Bostons, and a Klipsch 12" sub. Of course, I was an RA and my room wasn't a drunken party room.
 
I am going to recommend the Yamaha R-N303 receiver $299 and the Pioneer Sp-BS22-LR Speakers $150. This is a sweet combo. For $450 you will have the ability to listen to AM, FM, and internet audio in addition to having a phono input for those records. I am using the Pioneer speakers in my study and they have a very well balanced sound, quite smooth and non fatiguing. I am using the Yamaha R-N 402 receiver in my living room and using my iPad as the remote. Believe me, once you get used to accessing the internet you will love all those sources coming in!

Happy hunting!
 
Depending upon your living situation headphones might be the way to go. In a dorm for sure. Otherwise for college an avr and some cerwin vegas will rock the house!
 
I would get a Bose Wave Soundtouch music system iv and either a new turntable with built-in phono stage (such as an AT LP120 USB) or an outboard phono stage for your current turntable, if it needs one.
 
College? Be prepared to sacrifice your gear to the inevitable drunken parties you and your room mates will host.

If you plan to "party hearty", spend less rather than more, and remember that "genuine vinyl" veneer is far less susceptible to water rings than real wood. You mention playing vinyl as a source. Either leave your "good" albums at home, or hide them during parties. Buy the least expensive "acceptable" cart w/replaceable stylus that you can live with, and keep a couple spare styli on-hand. Alcohol and record cueing don't always mix so well...
 
As far as living conditions I have a good situation. My roommates don't mind me setting up some equipment and where I am there is no alcohol let alone drunk parties so those won't really be issues. I would say that my budget is my only real issue.
 
If you plan to "party hearty", spend less rather than more, and remember that "genuine vinyl" veneer is far less susceptible to water rings than real wood. You mention playing vinyl as a source. Either leave your "good" albums at home, or hide them during parties. Buy the least expensive "acceptable" cart w/replaceable stylus that you can live with, and keep a couple spare styli on-hand. Alcohol and record cueing don't always mix so well...
Not an issue. No drinking in the apartment
 
Seeing as you already have a table my vote would go to the following:

Used Realistic 42-2101 or 42-2109 phono (eBay - incredible sound despite low cost)

Xiang Sheng DAC-01A (2x analog inputs, coax, optical and USB for digital. An internal dip switch will convert this to a preamp and spectacular with an RCA Command 5670 tube) -
http://s.aliexpress.com/I7zURBrQ?fromSns=Copy

darTZeel NHB-108 copy -
http://s.aliexpress.com/MjUNbeEF?fromSns=Copy

Your choice of speakers. Possibly used like some KEF KG4 etc. This system would let you upgrade and expand over time keeping the power amp the same.

Would be the most insane college system ever. I'm assuming you'll use a PC for your main source
 
There are so many things that require money while in college that I'd recommend staying at the low end of your budget, and banking some cash for other purchases you may need, or want. Food comes to mind. Dating. Gasoline. The list is endless, and books, computer, internet access, phone and all the other "necessities" of student life. And if your space is small, stick with small speakers. Watch for deals from other students who may have overspent and want to turn their good stuff into cash.

I actually like the idea of a Bose Wave, as jrtrent suggested above, even though I'm not a fan-boy of the brand. For many different reasons, you may find yourself moving more often than you'd think while in college, in which case you will learn to appreciate owning small and easily transportable components. Now, if you can afford it, a stack of Parasound's z-series would provide very good quality with a pair of your choice of bookshelf speakers while keeping it compact. They also show up in BT periodically at reasonable cost.
 
suggest a DAP using ESS90x8/AKM4490 DAC chips (these are also used in the 5 figure CDPs)
into powered speakers via ethernet, wifi, Bluetooth, etc. saves lots of space, cables, integration
of protocols, res issues.

once you get GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) you'll be buying, TTs, phono preamps,
amps, CDP, SACDs, speaker cables large as your arm, then bi-ampable speakers,
stands, room diffusers, sound traps, cable lifters, matching furniture finishes, and
deciding on cartridges being strain/moving coil/iron/magnet, ceramic with ruby
cantilever and hyperbolic/elliptical shapes, PCM vs DSD, spotify vs tidal, iTunes,
fubar2000, EAC, Audacity. then tweaks to windows 10 ASIO, Wasapi,
DSP processing. USB DAC jitter removal, MQA, DTS vs Atmos, 1K/4K/8k/DHR,
headphones that are planar, electrostatic, hybrid with tube headphone amps,
cyro cable with pure copper or silver, 180 gram LPs cut at 45RPM, and
new technologies designed to separate you from your money.

Been there done that, now trying to downsize and digitize to something I can carry.
 
Right now I am in my study and listening to the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers taking the audio from my iMac via Bluetooth to the audio engine Bluetooth adaptor. I am using my Yamaha A-S500 amp. Listening to WCRI Rhode Island and the sound is wonderful! I suggest that you could have an excellent but low cost system just using Bluetooth and a D class amplifier coupled to those speakers. They are 6 Ohms impedance so you do need to be sure the amp can handle that. The Pioneers are running around 100 dollars these days, the amp would be in the same area of cost and the bluetooth adaptor is also in that range. I am assuming 300-450 dollars total. Take the audio from your smartphone, iPad, Laptop or PC and you are in like Flynn!:beerchug:
 
Back
Top Bottom