There is a recent thread asking about the wisdom of bulk erasing tapes before recording over them.
I have read elsewhere in the Tape forum, about the benefits of bulk erasing, vs letting the erase head do the job. For this thread, let's omit discussion of poor alignment allowing adjacent tracks to bleed through. I am trying to zone in on the "Bias noise" question.
In these discussions, I have read that bulk erasing will reduce "bias noise" and lower the "noise floor" by 3db.
In practice, what does this really mean?
If say, a deck has a 60db S/N ratio, does this bulk erase increase it to 63db?
Is bias noise something that is added to the "hiss" level that is heard with no recording and playback level (volume), turned way up?
In practice, is there a real world benefit in noise levels upon playback, when bulk erasing prior to recording vs letting the deck's erase system (presuming it's working properly itself) ?
I have read elsewhere in the Tape forum, about the benefits of bulk erasing, vs letting the erase head do the job. For this thread, let's omit discussion of poor alignment allowing adjacent tracks to bleed through. I am trying to zone in on the "Bias noise" question.
In these discussions, I have read that bulk erasing will reduce "bias noise" and lower the "noise floor" by 3db.
In practice, what does this really mean?
If say, a deck has a 60db S/N ratio, does this bulk erase increase it to 63db?
Is bias noise something that is added to the "hiss" level that is heard with no recording and playback level (volume), turned way up?
In practice, is there a real world benefit in noise levels upon playback, when bulk erasing prior to recording vs letting the deck's erase system (presuming it's working properly itself) ?