• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Burning smell and hot amp...

BM0127

New Member
Well here I am again...after fixing my turntable I seem to have run into an issue with my amp. The unit is an MCS 2250, which is essentially a Technics SU-Z400. Everything sounds great, and played it for a good period of time after my turntable repair. But I now notice a burning smell coming from around the power supply. The power supply is definitely hot, but not sure if it is too hot. There seems to be some brown residue on the board attached on photo one. The board below that (in photo two) actually zapped me when I touched it (was not smart of my to do that...). Perhaps that is running power to the speakers? I have the manual here.

The area around the power supply is a bit hard to decipher on here for me, so hoping for some guidance on what may be going on here. Probably will not be turning this thing on for an extended period of time unless I am sure it is not a fire hazard. Real shame after I got the turntable working well again:rflmao:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 46
Register to hide this ad
Place your hand on top of the power transformer.. That is likely the heat source.

Power transformer is the large silver square box in the photo..

1709320584283.png
 
Hey -- thanks for the responses to my very basic questions...lol

I cleaned up that flux as well as some I found in some other spots. I guess the PSU is not "too hot", since I can still touch it. There definitely is a smell coming from the amp during use, and it seems to come from that side of unit. But I have not been able to identify the source. Perhaps it is nothing to worry about.

I am gonna try and do a re-cap in the next week or so. Not sure if it will "solve" anything, but from my research here it doesn't seem like a bad idea. The unit is from 1985, and I am assuming it has never been re-capped.

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom