• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Burr Brown PCM1690 vs ESS Sabre32

Gigantic

A big, big love
I recently picked up an Oppo BDP-83 universal disk player, which I'm using as a transport, connected via HDMI to my Marantz NR1604, which uses a Burr Brown PCM1690 DAC chipset. Playing an audio DVD through it, Talk Talk's Laughing Stock, sounds fantastic. However, until now, I've never given the DAC portion of the signal chain any consideration; in the past, I'd always just plugged the CD player into my receiver or integrated amp with cheap, Radio Shack-style interconnects and figured that was as good as it got. However, in the interest of optimizing my existing system, I'm left wondering if it could be better? The Oppo BDP-83 utilizes quad ESS Sabre32 chips- how do they compare with the Burr Brown PCM1690 and furthermore, how do the DACs that I have compare to standalone units in the sub-$500 or even sub-$300 range?
 
Register to hide this ad
The PCM1690 is an eight channel DAC. It's possible single channel or stereo DACs might have fewer compromises.

The analogue processing, and integration of the DAC chip (supplies, clock, digital interface, digital:analogue isolation) are just as important as the DAC chip itself.
 
The PCM1690 is an eight channel DAC. It's possible single channel or stereo DACs might have fewer compromises.

The analogue processing, and integration of the DAC chip (supplies, clock, digital interface, digital:analogue isolation) are just as important as the DAC chip itself.

ostensibly, the other is as well. One is in an universal disc player, the other, the Burr Brown, is in a receiver. you really haven't addressed my question.
 
you really haven't addressed my question.

You didn't identify the ESS DAC chips; given you said it used four of them, I assumed they were stereo devices, not 8-channel.

I guess you'll have to do some research on products that might provide whatever it is you are looking for in a DAC.
 
Back
Top Bottom