• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Buy a new cartridge or stylus? Pioneer PL-12D

ricohman

Adventure Rider
I am looking at a Pioneer PL-12D but it needs a cartridge. As I understand this means that I cannot buy a stylus?
Does the cartridge hold the stylus? And when the stylus wears you simply replace it? I am ignorant about turntables and I need to learn more about their mechanics.
Why do people lose the cartridge then? This seems all to common with older turntables.
And lastly, is this Pioneer PL-12D worth $50 without a cartridge?
 
Register to hide this ad
What cartridge is currently on it?

Most, if not all, moving magnet cartridges have replaceable styli (some may be unobtanium though). But depending on the age of the cartridge (and what it is) you may just want to invest in a newer cartridge replacement.

Lots of possibilities for that table.

If it's in great shape, $50 is not too much for that table without a cartridge IMO. Can they be had cheaper...sure. How much do you want to listen to vinyl?

Jeff
 
Yes, if it has no cartridge you cannot just buy a stylus. The cartridge holds the stylus. So you would need a new cartridge. And all new cartridges come with styli. When the stylus wears out, you can just replace it. But different cartridges have different sound qualities and some people like to explore other possibilities. That's why someone might replace the entire cartridge.

And as to why used turntables often have no cartridge--the previous owner liked the cartridge and decided to remove it and use it on a different turntable.

If you find a used tt with a cartridge and stylus, unless you are guaranteed that the stylus is new or in good shape, you have to assume it's no good and buy a new one. Generally the stylus is 80% of the cost of the cartridge, so you don't lose much by not having the cartridge, and it gives you the option of using whatever cartridge you like--not being forced (although you're not really forced) to use what's already on there.
 
Excellent advice. Thank you.
I may go have a look at it. It seems a good tt is about $100+ and if I have to buy a new cartridge anyway.
Any recomendations for a good sounding cartridge that won't break the bank?
 
Excellent advice. Thank you.
I may go have a look at it. It seems a good tt is about $100+ and if I have to buy a new cartridge anyway.
Any recomendations for a good sounding cartridge that won't break the bank?
Yes, for the PL-12D I think the AT95E or AT110E are good all around cartridges. They sound good and are reasonably priced. Turntableneedles has the 110E for $50 and the 95E is that or less at lpgear or garage-a-records. You could also get the Shure M97xE (usually good price at Amazon). Although the stylus tracks a little light for the arm, using the included brush cancels out that problem and it works great, also. That's more neutral sounding, while the ATs tend to be slightly brighter.
 
Back
Top Bottom