• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Buy JVC Zero 5 or Pioneer S-910

Dave N.

Active Member
So I'm contemplating buying locally either a.set of JVC Zero 5 speakers or a set of Pioneer S-910 speakers. Both are working and in good condition. But both have non original woofers. I'm not a purist and don't mind having non original drivers. They are both at the same price. I'm just asking which speaker you think is the better buy as they are both rare and considered higher end.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20230708_160946_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_160946_Facebook.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20230708_160924_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_160924_Facebook.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 37
Register to hide this ad
Neither one is going to be "high end" with non-original drivers. Especially since they're both bass reflex where the cabinet, let alone the crossover, needs to be closely matched to the driver. IMO, unless you have a source for replacement woofers, I'd give them both a pass.
 
The Zero 5s would be my choice, but it’s unfortunate the woofers were replaced. They do come up on fleabay every once in a while. The Zero series are pretty highly regarded.
 
I didn't say it and was hoping to not get into it, but there is a set of s-910 drivers and crossover on ebay now. No cabinets. But that would double the cost. I imagine Zero series drivers are even more rare. I'm still thinking it over. Both sellers claim they sound great and rhe guy with the Pioneer says they are improved in his opinion. I haven't made a decision yet .
 
Last edited:
So I bought the Pioneer s-910. My biggest reason is I doubt I'd ever get an original woofer for the JVC. And the original woofers for these is on ebay right now. I've got them home now. Hooked up to a Concept 5.5 receiver. These woofers aren't going to cut it. They will be going by by. The speakers sound nice on the highs and mids. I think I'll press that buy it now button o. Ebay. A guy has everything for these speakers but the cabinets. Including the crossover and the woofers.
 
I didn't say it and was hoping to not get into it, but there is a set of s-910 drivers and crossover on ebay now. No cabinets. But that would double the cost. I imagine Zero series drivers are even more rare. I'm still thinking it over. Both sellers claim they sound great and rhe guy with the Pioneer says they are improved in his opinion. I haven't made a decision yet .
Seems like a good percent of the time when a seller says "installed up graded drivers" or "speakers have been upgraded". it may be a lie.
Should just say I changed the xxxx and it sounds good to me* YMMV

*which might be a bald faced lie and the reason for selling.

I used to trust people and believe what they said. Now days I find that harder to do.
 
So I bought the Pioneer s-910. My biggest reason is I doubt I'd ever get an original woofer for the JVC.
Hope you were able to negotiate a good price based on the lack of original woofers. Let us know how everything turns out after you get the new ones installed.
 
Back
Top Bottom