• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Buying a cooling fan/pad for my vintage Pioneer

Saffire

Active Member
My Pioneer was recently the victim of the voltage-stabilizing transistors in the power supply de-soldering themselves over time, due to stress from thermal cycling. I've fixed every cracked solder joint I could find, and now the receiver is in tip-top shape again.

I really don't want this problem happening again. The voltage transistors in this unit are the hottest part of the whole receiver, everything else runs relatively warm. And when I say hot, I mean HOT. I can't even touch the heatsinks of the transistors for more than 2 seconds, or it'll burn me.

I've been considering buying a cooling pad to place on top of the receiver, so it can blow cool air down onto the components and out through the side vents. Does anyone here have a setup like this? What are some recommendations for fans?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Consider a laptop cooling fan, reasonably priced/quiet/power consumption... I purchased one but yet to connect it up...
 
something more suited to this and cheaper then a whole laptop cooling pad would just be to buy a 120mm pc fan, any with actual ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings are quite and last for years.

they are pretty much all 12v and if you run them off a 9v wall wart you can get even quieter operation, just make sure you are getting a basic 2 wire and not 3 wire PWM fan
 
you really want it to blow UP and aid nature... IT is better to pull hot air up, than blow cold air down into the hot air rising. It causes the fan to dust up every year or so, but 30 seconds with a shop vac is worth it.

In some pioneers (like the 'champagne series') I have added sinks where none were and increase size of others. just gotta make sure nothing touches
 
you really want it to blow UP and aid nature... IT is better to pull hot air up, than blow cold air down into the hot air rising. It causes the fan to dust up every year or so, but 30 seconds with a shop vac is worth it.

In some pioneers (like the 'champagne series') I have added sinks where none were and increase size of others. just gotta make sure nothing touches

Yeah, I just realized that it's better to have an exhaust. I think blowing cool air down onto the components would mess with the bias, I'm pretty sure the bias is temperature controlled. My receiver is an SX-50 that was released right after the champagne series, and the last silver faced receiver before the era of B.P.C., I'll look into adding some heatsinks.
 
I seem to recall moving the regulator transistors and mounting them to the chassis in a unit (could have been a Pioneer) years ago. Requires insulator pads etc. Somewhat of a pain, but it solved the problem.
 
Good Day,
Check out AC infinity. I use the 3 fan version on a number of vintage amps and receivers. Unit sits on top and draws air from equipment up and out.
Best,
"nikkofan"
 
Back
Top Bottom