• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Buying from me requires a formal interview...lol

Hajidub

I'm Freaking Out Mannnn!
Subscriber
Just sort of a fun story. This week two of my sons friends (mid-20's) have contacted me asking for either new TT user or upgrade TT advice. One is brand new to vinyl so I give the obligatory AT-120 and Edifier R1280T powered speaker response. I then get to thinking, hey I got a lot of extra gear that will obliterate this setup so I ask him to stop by after work. He stops by and I give a fatherly interview. It consists of "are you sure you want in this crazy hobby" and "let me tell you the cleaning, brushing, getting up every 22 mins, blah blah." He's all in. I set him up to a refurbed Dual 604 w/Shure Type N15-III Jico, a hybrid Napa Acoustic NA-208A (darling of the 2012 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver), and a couple upgraded Dayton AIRs with Canton Sub. We listen to some albums, he's in utter shock of the clarity and detail. I donate to him a Vinyl VAC cleaner and assorted stylus/record brushes for the cheap.

Next one calls a day later. He has a Walmart Victrola. I ask budget and give the AT/Edifier suggestion, but mention if he gives me a day or two I can have another Dual table (622) up and running along with a fully recapped HK430, but I'd help with a set of FB Marketplace speakers (I'm out of extras). He doesn't seem as interested, even though my price leaves him some wiggle room from his budget. Guess I'll see what he comes back with.

I had this problem for the last 3 decades. All the **** ton of vintage stuff I've sold locally I always seem to have a soft spot for young people or couples interested in the hobby and sell for well below market value. It's like I'm just excited to see another set of young folks getting into it. I'm not too hard on myself but I sometimes wonder if they're still into it.
 
Register to hide this ad
Awesome. When I sell a TT and find out it's to a youngsta' I ask what they listen to and will toss in some LPs I think they would like and whatever I can to keep them hooked. Same with tape decks, toss in some new cassette tapes to record on and try to make things a positive experience. Love youth keeping this old man's stuff alive.
 
It's great to have common ground with the younger generation, especially if it's the hobby we love. You have to stress to them the do's and don'ts with vintage audio, like don't short the speaker connection with the amp on. One of my sons who's in a rental house full of Gen-Z 'kids' is currently on their third gifted vintage receiver. Keeps me busy troubleshooting:)
 
Well, equipment was taken over and setup for him this morning. Amazing how these upgraded Dayton AIRs, on stands, with a 8" Canton powered sub fill a much larger room than my little listening area. His smile was ear to ear. He already hit one of our local record stores I sent him to. The owner discounted every purchase once he mentioned my name, 3rd time this month with referrals.
 
One of my best friends is a millennial (born in the 1980s).

When I met him about 20 years ago- he had just graduated from college, a few years before- he had a Sony receiver and a pair of Yamaha 12" "rack system" type speakers.

I helped him develop an audio equipment cadre for his anime convention- and later, we actually started an audio/video/lighting rental company, catering to anime conventions. In the meantime, I introduced him to the audio equipment we carried in the stores where I worked- and he RAPIDLY went upscale. He caught the audio bug, HARD.

When I say "HARD"- I mean that, as in his current system is a Transrotor Fat Bob turntable with Hana Umami Red cartridge, a TEAC UD505 DAC, with VAC Master preamplifier and VAC Master 300iQ power amp, and Von Schweikert E-SE speakers. With a second system in his other house, consisting of a Denon DP300F turntable with Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge, Wiim streamer-DAC, VAC Sigma 160i integrated amp, and a pair of Tannoy Churchill Wideband speakers.

Yes, I guess I am responsible for some huge expeditures on his part- but man, every time he calls me raving about how GOOD some new recording he just got, sounds- I know it's been worth it.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
There are a few millennials in the maker space where I have my workshop who have gotten into audio. One went the vintage route, with a silver panel Pioneer setup, the other was building speakers, using Joseph Crowe horns. If I have time in the coming year, I may do a speaker building seminar there, I think we can get a half dozen people who would be into building a pair of kit speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom