• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bye Bye Integra...Hello Sherbourn!

Yamaki

Living In A Firepit
Subscriber
I've been hankering for an AVR + Audio upgrade and I'll be packing up my Integra DHC 40.1 (good unit, just not super with music) in favor of a Sherbourn PT-7030.

Not overly burdened by a huge load of frills and features you don't need, it boasts an impressive array of HDMI In and HDMI Out connectivity, a full complement of balanced XLR outputs and a high quality set of internal components that I am sure will add depth and detail to music listening plus provide an outstanding video experience..

I'm looking forward to swapping this unit into my system, tweaking the PEQ's and giving it a good workout! :music:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Just got a PT-7030 and an Emotiva XPA-5. My main reason for the PT-7030, other than the sale price and the 40% upgrade card, was the good 2 channel reviews. Currently that's all I'm using it for, and so far I'm very impressed. I did find that using the bypass mode vs stereo mode slightly but noticeably improved the sound stage. The XPA-5, BTW, has exceeded expectations and is frankly very good, even mesmerizing at times.

I look forward to hearing your observations.
 
I received my shipping information this morning. The Emotiva/Sherbourn/Jade Audio peple are nothing if not efficient.

Thanks for the feedback on the unit. Did you play with the EQ at all?

I too will be switching between bypass and stereo modes to determine which sounds best to my ears.

I have 6 Emotiva amps (2 XPA-1's, 3 UPA-1's and 1 UPA-200) plus 2 XDA-1 DACs and their XRef-12 subwoofer. I'm very happy with the gear.
 
I haven't played with any settings yet - just running it with everything set default. Make sure you download the manual from the website - I didn't get a printed manual with mine. Also, it's designed to be installed by a professional and not an end user, so the manual is designed that way - i.e. no pretty diagrams to show you how to connect things. Not an issue for me, though it did take a while to figure out which input to use and how to select it. I wound up using Analog Input 5, which is selected by Input 7, which I finally figured out by looking at page 26:
 

Attachments

  • PT-7030 Inputs.jpg
    PT-7030 Inputs.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 30
Also, I found a bad RCA jack while I was troubleshooting why I wasn't initially getting any output with my CDP connected to analog input 1 and input 1 selected before I figured out the trick in my previous post. The unbalanced left front output just came right out when I tried to remove the RCA cable. It was obviously not held in by anything, so it was either a defective jack or something didn't get soldered. Emotiva/Sherbourn to their credit is sending me a replacement unit and a FedEx label to send my unit back to them. The first thing I'm going to do when I get my replacement is to check every connector for mechanical and electrical operation to make sure this was just a fluke. I suggest you do the same.

In spite of this I think I'll be very happy with this preamp. I plan on using iRule to control it via the IR ports (IP2IR) and also the relay adapter (IP2CC) to control the startup and shutdown sequence of my amps. The goal is to make make it simple and easy to use for my wife, and also to control from an iPad or Android tablet.
 

Attachments

  • PT-7030 Jack Body.jpg
    PT-7030 Jack Body.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 30
  • PtT-7030 FL Jack Removed Circled.jpg
    PtT-7030 FL Jack Removed Circled.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
That sucks about the output jack. Having dealt with Emotiva/Sherbourn/Jade I'm not surprised they are taking care of the issue quickly and efficiently.

Thanks for the info on the inputs. My Integra manual is a bit like that with very little in the way of diagrams but a lot of "if this, then that" sort of charts and tables.
 
I don't have much experience with the HDMI Integras, but we have a pre HDMI DTR 7.3 which is an awesome home theater receiver. My guess is that Integra has dropped in quality a bit like its parent Onkyo.
 
Nothing wrong with this Integra that a few more HDMI inputs, a few more digital inputs and some upgraded chips wouldn't fix.

It's actually a very nice piece that has been surpassed by today's technology. For an early HDMI pre-pro it performs superbly and I've had no problems whatsoever with it.
 
Hey, McFool, just following up to see how you like your PT-7030. My replacement arrived and I've had a chance to put it through it paces. So far I'm liking everything. I'm especially happy with the built in DAC. It's every bit as good as my XDA-1. This is truly a have your cake and eat it too pre/pro.
 
I recently purchased a Sherbourn PT-7030 pre-amp/processor and here are my first impressions.

It came double boxed, which most of us audio aficionados have come to appreciate, and the foam supports inside could definitely take more abuse than my unit did during the shipping process. The fabric wrap around the unit is a nice touch.

All of the accessories that come with the pre/pro are well packed and placed in such a manner so as not to bang into the unit's case. The only thing missing was a printed manual. However, there is one available to download in a .pdf format at the Sherbourn product website. I strongly suggest you do get one as it will come in very handy as you configure the unit.

Be ready for a bit of a workout lifting it from the box. While it is no where near as heavy as one of my monoblock amplifiers, it is hefty. I thought my DHC40.1 was big but this unit makes the Integra look downright puny. The PT-7030 front panel is clean looking, with a small array of brushed aluminum buttons and two knobs, one for power and the other for volume. Below the digital display panel are four small buttons used to select sound fields, options, turning On and Off the display and selecting zones. Directly below that that row and flanked by the knobs are eleven more buttons to select inputs, the USB plug-in, multi-channel selections and a mute button. They are all very small and, as with most components, not used in the normal course of viewing or listening.

My impression seeing it for the first time is it's a substantial piece with a look that is purposeful, almost business-like. No frills here. This thing was made for a purpose and anything else that does not contribute to that purpose is not included. More on that later...

Making the connections at the back is accomplished much the same as many pre/pro's as long as you understand how the input priorities work. The scheme here is fairly simple but a good read of the manual you just downloaded would be in order. The PT-7030 has an impressive array of connections to choose from. Some would say it looks a bit bewildering, however, all you really need to do is understand what your other components offer for interconnection choices. Today's components are in the unhappy position of having to accommodate a wide array of current and legacy connections that add to the "busy-ness" of the back panel and my suggestion would be to utilize the most efficient and highest value connections you have on the rest of your components.

With 6 HDMI inputs plus 2 outputs, all your connection needs of that type will be met. The feature set I most appreciate is the balanced XLR input and output suite. However, understand that one of the input priorities comes into play here. If you utilize the "Reference Stereo Input/CD" XLR inputs, it takes precedence over any audio that may accompany an HDMI input plugged in at HDMI In 1. That input can be used, say, if you wanted to listen to music over the XLR input and still watch TV with no sound on HDMI In 1. However, I'd suggest a call to the maker's tech line about the assignment scheme in that instance.

As mentioned, the PT-7030 can accommodate almost any connection need, including component video, single RCA video and audio inputs/outputs (such as is provided with the early Wii units and similar video games), four digital toslink and three digital coax inputs with one output of each type, I/R connections, three zone RCA inputs and outputs, six pairs of audio unbalanced inputs, a bank of 7.2 unbalanced inputs and outputs, an accessory unbalanced RCA audio out circuit (perfect for that headphone amplifier!), a 7.2 panel of XLR balanced outputs and six 12v trigger outputs. Bottom line is you can hook just about anything up to this unit and make it work.

Once all the connections were made, I powered up the unit for the first time. It boots fairly quickly with no drama or hesitation whatsoever. The front display is clear and easy to read, even for a pair of old eyes from a distance of 10 feet. One item of note...the display is cannot be dimmed. It's either On or Off. That's it. For those of you who own an XDA-1 DAC, the color of the display light will be very familiar. It does match up well with the rest of my Emotiva gear.

I thought it best to list the other components it will be playing with just to set the stage, so to speak, on where all the inputs and outputs are going.

- Two Emotiva XPA-1 monoblock amps
- One Emotiva UPA-200 2 channel amp
- One Emotiva UPA-1 monoblock amp
- An Emotiva XDA-1 DAC
- A SimAudio Moon 180 audio streamer
- An Oppo 93
- A standard Comcast cable box
- Two Panamax M5400-PM power centers
- A Samsung 64" plasma monitor
- Vienna Acoustics Mozart front, Theatro center & Waltz rear speakers
- An Emotiva XRef-12 subwoofer

So, I had a bit of gear to hook up but there were no problems in doing so.

Now, the first part of the setup, a bit more about the 12v trigger scheme and the menus will follow.
 
After making up all the connections, I spent some time perusing the manual. I was curious about the remote control and how best to utilize it for the next part of the setup. Since one of the HDMI outputs goes right to the monitor, simply pressing the remote's "Set Up" button took me right to the menu.

My choices were:

Input setup
Video setup
Zone setup
Preferences
Speaker size
Level calibration
Speaker Distance
Crossovers
Sub Level
Equalizer

Also included is a selection called "System Status" which shows which zones are active, what the Record Out source is and the version numbers for your current firmware.

I started with Input setups. There are inputs to set up, which are reflected by your choice of HDMI or any other input you have selected for a component.

The manual indicates that you can customize the input level by 0.5dB increments but I left all input levels at 0 for now. If I find that one input (cable box, DVD, streamer, etc...) has a higher input volume I'll match the others to it and not have to do much, if any, volume adjustments as I switch sources.

Much like other processors and AVR's, you can title your input, identify the audio source/input, the video source/input and to set a default sound field for each input. The sound field settings are pretty versatile and a good range of types are present including Dolby PLII (my TV setting), Dolby 3 Stereo, 5 or 7 channel stereo, DTS Neo:6, and PCM 2 CH.

It is here in this menu that a couple of cool and handy features can be set. One is the "Triggers Active" feature in which you can customize which amp or combinations of amps will be triggered for this input.

For instance, when I select "TV", all triggers are active except #3, which turns the DAC On or Off. That trigger is active only when I select "Music". When I select "Music", the amps that trigger the center and surround channels are not used, the trigger for the DAC turns on and off I go into 2 channel land.

The other nice feature is that each input has a "Lip Sync" feature that allows you to add milliseconds of time to catch up with the video synch. All of my inputs appear to be fine at this time but I have yet to try streaming via the Oppo to see if it syncs OK. If not, I can always fix it.

One annoying feature on audio is that at times when a commercial ends and the designated program comes back on, there may be a second or two or three of silence before the processor catches up with the audio input. It's a known issue but I have it on good authority that Sherbourn is working on it.

The video setup allows you to set the lowest resolution, which is handy for older video games. I have one of the early Wii's with analog audio/video input. This feature allows me to upscale the Wii video to 720p which looks a lot better than the default Wii setting on a 65" monitor. Of course, an instant improvement in audio and video quality I could pass through would be a new game machine. In any event, this is a set it and forget it feature. You can also designate the HDMI audio path. Your choices are "To Amplifier" and "To TV". Since I run all my audio and video through the processor, this is a no brainer.

I set up the speaker size (all "Large") and since I ran a 7.2 balanced output to my subwoofer, selected "Yes" for this setting to insure that my sub gets a signal regardless of what input is on, be it DVD, cable or the music streamer.

I mentioned earlier that this is a no frills unit and this is confirmed by the fact that there is no automatic room calibration system included in the processor. So, I did an initial set of the levels by speaker using a borrowed SPL meter, input my speaker distances, then did a bit of listening. I did adjust one main speaker up by 2 dB's, then adjusted it down by 1 to level out the front. I still have some work to do for 7.1 channel source material and will do a bit of that tomorrow.

I did do some crossover settings for the front, center and rear speakers but expect I'll be doing more as I delve into the 7.1 source settings.

I have yet to touch the sub levels feature and probably won't as I can manually tune the levels at the subwoofer. I may try the MAX setting in the speaker size menu for the sub and go from there if I feel I need to make a change.

Lastly, but by no means least, is the Equalizer menu. I have not touched it and will be spending some time reading the manual on how this menu works. It will lead to more fine tuning of the audio output for all sources, however, I will focus mostly on the best mix for 2 channel music. It is handy to have a full parametric equalizer function where I can tweak any and all of my speakers to my liking. Another nice function is that you can set the equalizer to Global (one setting applies to all speakers) or you can set it to Individual where you can fine tune each speaker. I think this may come in handy for me given the architecture, shape and furnishings in my room.

While I still have a bit of work to do on the rest of the settings, I don't think I am going to mess with what I have now too much as I have planned an entire interconnect upgrade which is sure to change how things will sound.

Oh, and about how it sounds...well, more on that in the next installment.
 
I tested the movie streaming function today. At first it kept dropping audio and video the first 10 minutes or so of use but it settled down.

It may be a handshake issue or it may be a cable issue. The other possibility is the Ethernet switch. I'll try a DVD later to see if it has the same issue.

In any event, I've done some 2-channel listening but don't plan on tweaking any of the parametric EQ settings until my cable upgrade is done. I can hear an improvement even without adjusting anything except the sub output. At this point I am very pleased with the unit's performance and am looking forward to adjusting the settings to suit my specific listening tastes.
 
McFool, noticed you have not reported back with any updates on the PT 7030,,i just purchased one and awaiting its arrival. Been reading alot of threads on the unit and it seems many owners are dissapointed with issues in the unit, can anyone else elaborate?
 
I'm almost done with my cable upgrade but have not touched much else on the unit except to tweak the sub settings and I managed to fix the streaming and DVD audio/video drop out issue with a simple HDMI cable change.

The codec dropout I was experiencing when a cable box coded changed from the broadcast program to a commercial and back again - about 2 to 3 seconds of silence - was remedied with a suggestion from the Emotiva tech line.

Since I have a bit of CI experience, setup was not hard for me but I can understand some frustrations may be expressed by folks who expect to plug and play this unit.

All in all, I've had fewer problems setting this unit up than I did with the Integra. I definitely do NOT regret my purchase of the Sherbourn PT-7030.

The only bits left to do are to mess with the parametric EQ settings and do a test on the Ethernet connectivity and functions via my Control4 system.
 
Hi, Bob!

The PT-7030 doesn't suffer from loud test tone issues as there is no room correction/Audyssey type set up system included. All room correction is done manually (with a SPL meter if you have one, if not you use your internal meter - your ears) and the "test tones" (if you can call them that...it sounded like pure static to me) are easily controlled through the unit's volume control.

I have not kept up on what progress, if any, has been made on the PT-7020 & C4 issues.
 
Thanks Michael.

No, the PT-7020C4's loud test tones issue remains; no firmware update.

By the way, I was totally amazed when I saw the PT-7030 on sale for only $699, this is truly a low price for a high-end surround sound processor! ...Did you get on that deal?
- Sherbourn separates => http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sherbourn-pt-7030-surround-processor-pa-7-350-amplifier

* As an aside and speaking of Integra: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/integra-dhc-605-network-av-controller ...With Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
 
Last edited:
I got in on the prior deal ($899) but I also got a nice 40% upgrade card to go with the deal.

I had read up a bit on the Integra 60.5 and one of the reasons I replaced my DHC-40.1 was its lack of musicality. Don't get me wrong...it's a fine piece but my need for a pre/pro centers on having a central hub for managing all my gear so all my sound goes through it as well. And it was letting the side down some. I noticed that Mr. Fremer pretty much the same thing with the 60.5, in that "it falls short on sound quality".

And that's too bad as they are laden with features and not too hard to set up. Mine never failed me but I realized I was missing out when it came to music.
 
Back
Top Bottom