• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C-80 input selector switch

phildoc

Well-Known Member
I picked up a M-80, C-80, and T-85. I've cleaned up the DSBG on the M-80 and I'm waiting on parts so I started to clean up the C-80. My question is how you clean the input selector switch? Can you spray inside it with contact cleaner? Thanks.




Phil
 
Register to hide this ad
C-80 will also have some DSBG on the power regulator transistor mounts and surrounding components.

DeoxIT is the tool of choice for "contact cleaner." Spray into the flat switches with the ribbon cable on them. For those, I would also follow-up with some Faderlube after cleaning. I've had more trouble from the volume (sealed pot) or tone control (open on the front panel) than the selectors on the C-8x.
 
Thanks for your help Brutal I've read several of your threads. I'll check the C-80 to see what I need to clean up any DSBG. I have both deoxit and faderlube. Where do you spray the input switch? I was thinking of between the circuit board and the switch case. Thanks.




Phil
 
I spray down into all the holes in the switch except that long center slot. I believe the contacts inside are upside down U, but the DeoxIT seems to migrate into the channel formed by the switch contacts just fine. Takes me longer to clean up the extra liquid, but seems to do the trick. Hit the center slot with Faderlube before closing it up.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Copy of DSC_9177 (Large).jpg
    Copy of DSC_9177 (Large).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 87
Hey Brutal, thanks again for your help, but I think we're talking about different switches. I'm referring to the push button switches that select the input. Aux, tuner etc. Sorry for the confusion. Any ideas on how to spray that? I did clean up the DSBG. There wasn't much and it came off easy. Thanks.



Phil
 
Last edited:
Hi Phil, I can chime in a bit as I have just replaced a few resistors on the selector switch board. You have to remove the front panel, for better working room, remove a couple of the plastic molex connectors from the main board that leads over to the front panel. The small board in question sits just behind the input selectors and is secured by 4 screws, remove them to gain access to the area you wish to lube. I have not shot any lube into this area while it was open, so from here you are on you own, good luck!
 
Hey Tim, thanks for helping. I was kind of thinking that, but was concerned about mucking things up. I have the face plate off and have removed the four screws, but was holding off to make it was safe to spray there and if that was the best place to spray. Thanks


Phil
 
Hey Brutal, thanks again for your help, but I think we're talking about different switches. I'm referring to the push button switches that select the input. Aux, tuner etc. Sorry for the confusion. Any ideas on how to spray that? I did clean up the DSBG. There wasn't much and it came off easy. Thanks.



Phil

Ah, yes I understand now. Timblade68 is right, they're on a board under the panel you will need to remove to get access to the actual switches. They're latch/snap switches that are tied together with a metal rail. I've had to clean them well and use faderlube on them to keep the slide that rides between them moving.
 
Well even with the 4 screws removed the board doesn't want to come off. Im afraid of breaking something if I force it. It does look like I can pry it open enough to spray inside. It's not ideal but it's better than ending up with something I can't fix. Thanks.


Phil
 
Wow, it sounds like it is binding on something. The same board on my C65 lifted right off / maybe just a jig to the right <towards the vol control opening>, and out.
 
I'm glad you chimed in. After reading that it should have been easy I went back and looked and there are 5 screws. I feel a little foolish, but I have it off. Thanks.


Phil
 
Back
Top Bottom