• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C2200 Humming.....Tubes?

Most muting schemes I've encountered usually crowbar to ground/common, which wouldn't have this symptom. Otherwise I'd expect this symptom to occur as likely as not with the method in that pre.
 
Good luck.[/QUOTE]
This is a non issue as you do not run the amps with the preamp off. Preamp on first then the amps. Reverse order for shutoff.

Just to be clear as perhaps you are having a different issue - but what it sounds like to me is normal.

When I turn on my system - I'll turn the preamp on first - then go to each individual tube amp - and turn them on - while the Mc is in "tube warming up mode.." - I can hear a slight hum from the amps - once the preamp switches and completes the circuit - it becomes dead silent and stays that way. If I then hit the standby/off switch on the preamp with the amps still on - the noise will immediately come back because the preamp is taken out of the circuit - load removed.

I typically always turn the amps off first - then the preamp - I'll sometimes turn one amp on - the middle preamp on and then the other amp on. The noise doesn't bother me since it is slight and really only temporary. Now if the noise was there once the preamp exited the warmup phase - that would be a huge issue that I would absolutely not tolarate.

Good luck.
I have to say that makes me feel better. I think that this is what is going on especially with such high efficiency speakers. I once saw a quote from Chuck on here saying that it does not matter what order you do this in but many saying that it does so I will error on the side of caution. I am being overly cautious as I have never noticed it before with my SS amps and different speakers and this coincides with my 275 dying. Thanks again!
 
Most muting schemes I've encountered usually crowbar to ground/common, which wouldn't have this symptom. Otherwise I'd expect this symptom to occur as likely as not with the method in that pre.
Pio that may be a little over my head but are you saying that if this were a ground issue in all likiehood it would also occur when the tubes were engaged? Thanks, Mike
 
What is a good power conditioner and is it really needed? I have a Monster HTS 3500 and I am considering a RGPC 1200c?
 
When the pre is in off or standby and "muted", the interconnects are unterminated and open. An odd condition and design choice, imo.
Grounding options may or may not affect it, but I'm suspecting its always been there and the speaker change may have made it noticable.
 
I have to say that makes me feel better. I think that this is what is going on especially with such high efficiency speakers. I once saw a quote from Chuck on here saying that it does not matter what order you do this in but many saying that it does so I will error on the side of caution. I am being overly cautious as I have never noticed it before with my SS amps and different speakers and this coincides with my 275 dying. Thanks again!
Yeah - like Pio said - high efficiency speakers might make it worse. But it is definitely a tube thang - as letting the tubes come on slow gives them greater life. My guitar amp is the same way - turn on in standby mode - then switch on after 30 or so seconds to allow a graceful startup.

If you have dead silence with everything warmed up - then sit back and enjoy. I'm a fanatic about that - drove me nuts a few years back as I was hearing weird spring noises once everything was warmed up - I couldn't let it go. Once I replaced my new issued driver tubes with some NOS RCAs - it has been absolutely wonderful.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I have to say that makes me feel better. I think that this is what is going on especially with such high efficiency speakers. I once saw a quote from Chuck on here saying that it does not matter what order you do this in but many saying that it does so I will error on the side of caution. I am being overly cautious as I have never noticed it before with my SS amps and different speakers and this coincides with my 275 dying. Thanks again!
Yeah - like Pio said - high efficiency speakers might make it worse. But it is definitely a tube thang - as letting the tubes come on slow gives them greater life. My guitar amp is the same way - turn on in standby mode - then switch on after 30 or so seconds to allow a graceful startup.

If you have dead silence with everything warmed up - then sit back and enjoy. I'm a fanatic about that - drove me nuts a few years back as I was hearing weird spring noises once everything was warmed up - I couldn't let it go. Once I replaced my new issued driver tubes with some NOS RCAs - it has been absolutely wonderful.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
That is funny because I too have heard those little "spring" noises but I didnt dare say it on here. LOL Tlhis is my back up amp and it has upraded signal tubes but brand new "stock" power tubes! I am such a novice at this point about tubes that I started with avoiding explosions and am working my way up:)
 
Yeah - like Pio said - high efficiency speakers might make it worse. But it is definitely a tube thang - as letting the tubes come on slow gives them greater life. My guitar amp is the same way - turn on in standby mode - then switch on after 30 or so seconds to allow a graceful startup.

If you have dead silence with everything warmed up - then sit back and enjoy. I'm a fanatic about that - drove me nuts a few years back as I was hearing weird spring noises once everything was warmed up - I couldn't let it go. Once I replaced my new issued driver tubes with some NOS RCAs - it has been absolutely wonderful.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom