• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C2200 surgery

wpines

Active Member
Now that I've found the speakers that I'm going to keep for quite some time :yes: I'm considering surgery on my C2200.

If I open it up to put in the AudioClassics LED lighting kit, I might as well "upgrade" the tubes while it's open. Can anyone point me to an honest and expert tube vendor? Tube recommendations? Is there another forum where I might find expertise?
 
Register to hide this ad
Brad,

for the 12AX7's I have had Telefunkens, Tung Sols, and Mullards.
I like the Teles the best then a very close 2nd are the tung Sols.

For the 12at7's I have had Tung Sols, and Mullards, and I will have Tele's very soon. I liked the Mullards, but I am betting I will like the Tele's better.

I have also tried the Tung Sol Gold Pins, and didn't think they were any better then the standard Tung sols.
 
Like, Night and Day IMHO.


Everyone hears things differently, so I don't want to start a stock vs replacements debate, but for me it was clearly an audible improvement.

Hey, nice Avatar, bet they sound good too :D:D
 
This was a couple years & a lot of tweaks ago. I remember the 6201 blackplates in the C2200 to be the most noticeable of the tube changes from stock. I found the stock tubes somewhat harsh in my system (which is sensitive to that). The 6201's have slightly less gain than the 12at7 & I remember hearing a little more detail & less glare.

Good luck!

Andy
 
Back
Top Bottom