• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C2700 uses 12AX7A tubes are regular 12AX7 tubes compatible?

Logan_Nolag

Active Member
One of the tubes in my C2700 seems to have gone bad. I contacted my dealer and they said they could only sell me a full set not individual tubes so I thought this would be a good opportunity to upgrade them.

Unfortunately however it seems like there are no new production 12AX7A tubes available anywhere and I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on NOS.

Does anyone know if I can put regular 12AX7s which are readably available into the C2700 instead of 12AX7As?
 
Register to hide this ad
One of the tubes in my C2700 seems to have gone bad. I contacted my dealer and they said they could only sell me a full set not individual tubes so I thought this would be a good opportunity to upgrade them.

Unfortunately however it seems like there are no new production 12AX7A tubes available anywhere and I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on NOS.

Does anyone know if I can put regular 12AX7s which are readably available into the C2700 instead of 12AX7As?
Yes, you can use the 12AX7. And the dealer will only sell you a full set of tubes and not individually? How nice........
 
I use regular 12ax7 NOS Medical Grade Amperex Tubes in my C2300. I don’t think it matters, the “a” designation is supposed to be a quieter tube. Mines been fine for years. If one’s gone, then it’s probably time for a new set if they’ve been in the preamp for any length of time. 10000 hours is the rule but McIntosh is really easy on tubes, especially signal tubes.
 
Yes, you can use the 12AX7. And the dealer will only sell you a full set of tubes and not individually? How nice........

Yeah that's what they said.

I use regular 12ax7 NOS Medical Grade Amperex Tubes in my C2300. I don’t think it matters, the “a” designation is supposed to be a quieter tube. Mines been fine for years. If one’s gone, then it’s probably time for a new set if they’ve been in the preamp for any length of time. 10000 hours is the rule but McIntosh is really easy on tubes, especially signal tubes.

Yeah I bought it open box/display so I have no idea how many hours are on it but I bet it's a lot. I'm pretty sure it's actually the 12AT7 that went out since I already swapped the main 12AX7 with one of the phono tubes and the problem didn't go away but I figured if I was going to replace the 12AT7 I might as well replace the main 12AX7A as well.
 
Yeah that's what they said.



Yeah I bought it open box/display so I have no idea how many hours are on it but I bet it's a lot. I'm pretty sure it's actually the 12AT7 that went out since I already swapped the main 12AX7 with one of the phono tubes and the problem didn't go away but I figured if I was going to replace the 12AT7 I might as well replace the main 12AX7A as well.
Me too and I replaced my tubes 4 years ago and it’s on every day for hours, McIntosh is great with tubes. Perhaps yours was just a defective tube. I wouldn’t worry but it’s a good time to replace them if you can. Oh, and you don’t have to match tubes for Mcintosh, so don’t let anyone try to upswell you on that. Good luck, you have a nice preamp.
 
Back
Top Bottom