• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C34v scratchy volume

Jimswms

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My C34v has a scratchy volume pot. It had a few very minor other issues and since I didn't know the history, I decided to have a local service it. He fixed the other goofy things and said it was within spec for a very reasonable price and "lubed" the volume pot, which I had already done. It comes and goes I told him.

Well, the scratch is back and I'm hesitant to take it back. What can I try next? How challenging is it to replace one of these, assuming I can get the part?

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I do not know if Mcintosh Parts still has these but I will bet they are quite expensive, maybe $75 to $100.

Here's how to take the unit apart based on my memory. I have take many apart but never had to replace the volume control:
1. Remove the knobs and remove the front panel glass assembly.
2. The bracket containing the monitor amp volume controls has to be removed. First unplug the three white connectors. Do not pull the connectors out by pulling on the wires.
3. The volume control has two shielded wires soldered to it. Pull the white connector at the other end of the shielded pair on the small circuit board. At this point you can remove the front panel nut and remove the control out of the chassis and work on it separately.
4. Carefully unsolder the wires from the control using braided solder removal thread. Solder the wires onto the new control in the same positions.
5. Put it all back together in the reverse order.
 
I do not know if Mcintosh Parts still has these but I will bet they are quite expensive, maybe $75 to $100.

Here's how to take the unit apart based on my memory. I have take many apart but never had to replace the volume control:
1. Remove the knobs and remove the front panel glass assembly.
2. The bracket containing the monitor amp volume controls has to be removed. First unplug the three white connectors. Do not pull the connectors out by pulling on the wires.
3. The volume control has two shielded wires soldered to it. Pull the white connector at the other end of the shielded pair on the small circuit board. At this point you can remove the front panel nut and remove the control out of the chassis and work on it separately.
4. Carefully unsolder the wires from the control using braided solder removal thread. Solder the wires onto the new control in the same positions.
5. Put it all back together in the reverse order.
Wow. Thanks for the detailed tutorial!
 
Back
Top Bottom