• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C52 disappearing from Mac Mini when volume goes beyond 34%

schlachet

Member
I have a C52 connected with balanced XLR cables to a MC302. One of my sources is a late-2014 Mac Mini that was running 10.10.5, but it's now running 10.11.4. Before its upgrade, it saw the C52 when I plugged in a USB cable, and iTunes played fine, until I turned the C52's volume past 33 or 34%. Without fail, the McIntosh disappears from the OS X audio device list. Music switches to the internal speakers of the Mini, and periodically goes back to the Mac but flips constantly. If I lower the volume, it goes back to normal - playing through the C52.

After the OS X upgrade, it seems like I have to power cycle the C52 then plug in the USB cable to the Mini before it sees it. It them still exhibits the same behavior - connects, plays audio, but once I crank up the volume, it drops.

I have an old mid-2009 MacBoot Pro running 10.10.5, which has no problems disconnecting/connecting, playing quietly our loudly with the C52.

The Mini is my main iTunes library, though, and that's where I'd like to play from.

Any guidance on this, or further troubleshooting steps?
 
Register to hide this ad
It's a brand new USB 2 cable. I also tried an older usb cable that had an RF choke on it. The new one is ~10 feet in length, based on where it's got to run. I can't understand how volume would be affecting this. Maybe the brand new preamp is buggy.
 
Since it works with your older MAC sounds like the new OSX has an issue. The volume setting of the C52 has no back communication over HDMI. 10 foot cable is fine.
Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Can you post screenshots of your sound settings on the mac mini? How are you adjusting the volume on the mini?

It sounds like something is weird with your software settings, honestly.
 
If you backup your Mac with a Time Machine then restore to the known working backup before the update.
There seem to be some issue with the USB of the Mac on El Capitan version.
 
Update the MINI OS to the latest then try the various USB connections on the Mini as they will have different characteristics.

Ron-C
 
Thanks for thinking about this with me. I've enclosed screenshots from the Mini. Its volume is set to full, and I've tried different frequency/bit settings.

The C52/Mini exhibited this problem in 10.10.5 and have the same problem after I upgraded the Mini to 10.11.4. There are two laptops here running 10.10.5 still, my old one (2009 MBP) does NOT exhibit this behavior, and a newer 2013 Air DOES.

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 8.50.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 8.51.04 AM.png
 
If you are playing iTunes, 24/96 is max output so you should set it to this as spinning the output up to 384000 will only damage the performance. You can of course fold iTunes into a music program like JRiver 21 which would offer advantages and play ALL file types. Using JR will allow you to use iTunes if you want but offer true High Per
formance USB audio.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Ah. I set these high when I used an exasound DAC, but that had a driver installed. I'll try reducing to 24/96 and try my test again, In a little while when it's OK to play something loudly :) still early here.
 
Weird. So I set the Mini to 24/96, and this moved the dropout problem from 33-34% volume to 50% volume. Maybe I'll give JRiver a spin. For reference, my iTunes is currently v12.3.3.17.
 
I'm using "BitPerfect" on my Mac Mini (latest OS) plugged via USB into a McIntosh C48. Works great, sounds better than iTunes alone. You can download it at the App Store!
 
Interesting. I tried BitPerfect and it didn't affect my situation. It is interesting though, and I'll come back to it after this mess is sorted out.
 
What version firmware is installed on your C52? I recently had my C48 updated from V1.0 to the newest version V2.11-2.21.
 
C52 launched up to date and uses a different Digital engine from previous models. There is no need to update this.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Ron-C, where are you getting the 24/96 limiation of iTunes? To my regret*, I use 192KHz files with the C2500.

To the OP, just use the optical output (minitoslink) located inside the analog output port on the macmini. Yes, there is documentation for 24/96 limitation for optical on the mac mini.

Mac OS X latest release reportedly solved usb audio issues. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205750

*Just to add my opinion, none of this matters, becuase most if not all cannot hear the difference between 16/24 bit files.
 
Yeah not sure where the 96/24 limitation in Itunes is coming from, I just tested it, I have a lot of 192khz/24bit from HD tracks, and although I use Jriver, I just tested iTunes and it works perfectly through the USB to the C48...

Are you kidding, the difference between 16bit and 24 bit is actually very obvious to me......
 
Yeah not sure where the 96/24 limitation in Itunes is coming from, I just tested it, I have a lot of 192khz/24bit from HD tracks, and although I use Jriver, I just tested iTunes and it works perfectly through the USB to the C48...

Are you kidding, the difference between 16bit and 24 bit is actually very obvious to me......

My response is gonna side track the thread, but it's in the interest of the C52 and Mac Mini working together. In which all you need is a Vinyl LP Turntable and CD Quality digital audio.

Not kidding. Take a 24bit/192 KHz file and convert to 16 bit file. Conduct many A/B tests.

I have attached my links for all to read or watch, draw you own conclusions.

The Difference Between 24-bit & 16-bit Audio is Inaudible Noise
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/08/2...t-you-knew-about-bit-depth-is-probably-wrong/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth
 
Back
Top Bottom