• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C76 Barrier Insulator

Mark Davis

Active Member
I just picked up another 400 and am planning on doing the modifications and upgrades like I did on the first one.

I did power it up with a DBT and Variac nothing came on.

I noticed can cap C76 (Cardboard covered one) was very loose in the socket so I shut it down.

I already ordered the new Can Caps from Hayseed Hamfest.

I was noticing the Barrier that the cap is in I guess it is fiber board is broken.

What should I use to replace this barrier or insulator?

I also noticed a wire had come loose. I hope this is why it didn't power up.

I hope after replacing the can caps it will at least power up to give me a staring point.
 
Register to hide this ad
^^ this, you can specify you need one on the HH order. Drill out the rivets and replace it with the can.

if the order is in but not shipped you can probably contact them and ask to have one stuck in with the caps.
 
When drilling out the rivet don't make the hole larger. A 6-32 machine screw fits the existing hole perfectly. I used machine screws but had to grind the head diameter to insure it didn't make contact with the metal can under the cardboard sleeve which would be very bad.

Someone here used a different style fastener. Maybe a socket head cap screw? Was it gadget or larryderouin maybe.

I wish I'd read your entire thread. Sounds like I cost you shipping at AES. If so, and they haven't shipped yet, think I have a couple laying around. Let me know.
 

Attachments

  • 20240307_102328.jpg
    20240307_102328.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I use a 4-40 x 1/2 panhead with locktight red on the threads. The head on the screw is large enough to overlap the hole but small enough to stay a fair distance from the can.
 
When drilling out the rivet don't make the hole larger. A 6-32 machine screw fits the existing hole perfectly. I used machine screws but had to grind the head diameter to insure it didn't make contact with the metal can under the cardboard sleeve which would be very bad.

Someone here used a different style fastener. Maybe a socket head cap screw? Was it gadget or larryderouin maybe.

I wish I'd read your entire thread. Sounds like I cost you shipping at AES. If so, and they haven't shipped yet, think I have a couple laying around. Let me know.
Hayseed Hamfest didn't ship my order yet so they are adding it to my order. Thanks for the offer.
 
Back
Top Bottom