• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cable - audible differences?

LCA8-38-L.JPG

FYI

I don't use those anymore. The proper crimper is expensive, so I used a 2 lb. hammer. I had it resting on the dustcover of my turntable when I whacked it.
 
OK. And I'm not trying to stir the pot. I think this is where things break down sometimes: when ridicule of outrageously expensive products gets in the way of reasoned discussion of reasonable products that can improve sound. I'm one step above lamp cord (fancy lamp cord for audio, basically) because cables are such a circus that I haven't dipped my toe in. :dunno: Not saying that's your fault either. Just saying. :biggrin:


Talking about lamp cord, I had a suprise. I was looking for a pair of something to burn in my new speakers in a spare bedroom. So I found two Ikea power cords with dimmer switch for my old floor lamps. The lamps were long gone to the dump, I don’t know why I kept the cords.

So I cut the wall plugs and switch boxes off, strip the ends and dipped them in a solder pot, and there I had a set of 18awg copper “speaker” cables with tinned bare ends. I left the system running for a day.....

This morning I went to room to check to see if anything on fire, wow, I notice those lamp cords sound really nice! They don’t have the most transparent or dynamic sound but they do have really natural and inviting sound! I could live with that easily if those cords in my bedroom or office setup
 
Talking about lamp cord, I had a suprise. I was looking for a pair of something to burn in my new speakers in a spare bedroom. So I found two Ikea power cords with dimmer switch for my old floor lamps. The lamps were long gone to the dump, I don’t know why I kept the cords.

So I cut the wall plugs and switch boxes off, strip the ends and dipped them in a solder pot, and there I had a set of 18awg copper “speaker” cables with tinned bare ends. I left the system running for a day.....

This morning I went to room to check to see if anything on fire, wow, I notice those lamp cords sound really nice! They don’t have the most transparent or dynamic sound but they do have really natural and inviting sound! I could live with that easily if those cords in my bedroom or office setup

Sot sounds like you are saying that the lamp cord has a different sound than your other cables?
 
And how does it come about that someone has a solder pot sitting around?
I saw one on "How It's Made" and thought, man I'd love to have that.
But somehow doesn't seem practical. Now I have to go look.

61r5XWdbsPL._SL1400_.jpg

Well well well. Now I know what I want for Christmas.

71qwV96O7yL._SL1500_.jpg

There's so much cool stuff in the world. Would hate to knock one of these over though.
 
Just curious, has anyone actually auditioned the Iconoclast cables the are made by the author of the article that started this thread? I don't believe that I have ever heard them (and I've heard most of them), so I'm curious if anyone has given them a try?
 
Talking about lamp cord, I had a suprise. I was looking for a pair of something to burn in my new speakers in a spare bedroom. So I found two Ikea power cords with dimmer switch for my old floor lamps. The lamps were long gone to the dump, I don’t know why I kept the cords.

So I cut the wall plugs and switch boxes off, strip the ends and dipped them in a solder pot, and there I had a set of 18awg copper “speaker” cables with tinned bare ends. I left the system running for a day.....

This morning I went to room to check to see if anything on fire, wow, I notice those lamp cords sound really nice! They don’t have the most transparent or dynamic sound but they do have really natural and inviting sound! I could live with that easily if those cords in my bedroom or office setup
That's fine, but I've read that solder(tinned copper ends) is a poor conductor for sound:dunno:
 
That did cross my mind once. But then I forgot about it.

Solder is everywhere inside our components after all...
 
Use silver solder. Silver is a better conductor than copper.

Silver - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver
Silver is a chemical element with symbol Ag (from the Latin argentum, derived from the Greek ἀργός: "shiny" or "white") and atomic number 47. A soft, white, lustrous transition metal, it exhibits the highest electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and reflectivity of any metal.
 
Last edited:
Also, silver solder doesn't usually have that much silver in it.

I know the purpose of solder but my own soldering is seldom very good :(

Silver and copper do conduct better than gold but gold is far less reactive in air.
 
You can get solder that is high in silver. And yes gold is lower on the atomic number as a conductor, but it has the advantage of resisting corrosion. All the conductivity isn't worth a dime if it corrodes to the point it won't conduct,
 
Just to belabor the point a bit, silver melts at 1,763°F which makes it tougher for most of us to use.
 
One of my post just vanished, hum,,,,,,,,,,,,Gold is not as good a conductor but it has the advantage of not oxidizing, like other metals.
 
That's fine, but I've read that solder(tinned copper ends) is a poor conductor for sound:dunno:

Solder mostly is tin, just lookup Duelund and Western Electic wires, they are tin plated copper cable. I am using Duelund in my system now, they are wonderful.

Use silver solder. Silver is a better conductor than copper.

The top of the line Mundorf solder has the most silver content, that is only 9%, which is super hard to use, they don't flow very well.

Silver - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver
Silver is a chemical element with symbol Ag (from the Latin argentum, derived from the Greek ἀργός: "shiny" or "white") and atomic number 47. A soft, white, lustrous transition metal, it exhibits the highest electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and reflectivity of any metal.

Also, silver solder doesn't usually have that much silver in it.

I know the purpose of solder but my own soldering is seldom very good :(

Silver and copper do conduct better than gold but gold is far less reactive in air.

Solder is mostly tin, but tin can sound really vivid. Same for the 100% gold conductor. By the end of the day, your ear is the judge.
 
Sot sounds like you are saying that the lamp cord has a different sound than your other cables?

Yes, I am using Duelund WE replica wire for speaker cables in my main system, they are wonderful.

Setup:
MacBook
McIntosh D150 DAC
DeHavilland UV3 pre
McIntosh MC30 (restored) power amps
Tannoy Turnberry and Wharfedale Dentons

I used the Mundorf silver gold solder to tin the tip then use the bare wire end to connect speakers and amp. In my system, I can even tell AMR gold fuse also made a difference, more body and dynamic to the music. I also tried synergistic research sr20 quantum fuse but did not like them because they lit up the HF too much.

BTW, if you installed the fuse backward, they will make the system sound weird
 
Solder mostly is tin, just lookup Duelund and Western Electic wires, they are tin plated copper cable. I am using Duelund in my system now, they are wonderful.





Solder is mostly tin, but tin can sound really vivid. Same for the 100% gold conductor. By the end of the day, your ear is the judge.
As long as the bare wire is connected directly, I'd think it wouldn't matter which type of solder was used to tin the wire ends:dunno:
 
Not me. I'm a mechanic. I get paid to repair the nightmares engineers design.:whip:

Interesting that after the Tacoma Narrows bridge failure, there were four significant, long span bridges built in the Puget Sound region that float on the water. Also interesting is that one sunk, while under renovation. This time it wasn't the engineers' fault - the maintenance folks left the pontoon hatches open during a storm.

Now back to our discussion on bridges with CABLES! ;)
 
I've read that solder(tinned copper ends) is a poor conductor for sound

As long as the bare wire is connected directly, I'd think it wouldn't matter which type of solder was used to tin the wire ends
I always use bare wire — the most direct connection is the best. Unless I'm experimenting with different amps/speakers; then I use bananas for convenience. I always tin the bare wire to prevent stray strands, and stiffen it (easier to work with that way) — then scrape the solder off the outside with a blade, so only copper is exposed, and only shiny copper makes the contact.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom