• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Calibrating a B&K tube tester

StuartB

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a nice B&K Dyna-Jet 606 tube tester. It is in good shape and has never been banged around. It seems to work well, and reliably measures tube strength......etc.

Do I need to worry about calibration or recapping it. I pulled to top cover off and found 2-3 caps. There is no visual evidence of them leaking or failing.

I was also surprised to find a tube under the cover. I guess I just didn't think of a tube tested using a tube...I am guessing it is a rectifier....I didn't verify the tube type.

Any thought or input would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a nice B&K Dyna-Jet 606 tube tester. It is in good shape and has never been banged around. It seems to work well, and reliably measures tube strength......etc.

Do I need to worry about calibration or recapping it. I pulled to top cover off and found 2-3 caps. There is no visual evidence of them leaking or failing.

I was also surprised to find a tube under the cover. I guess I just didn't think of a tube tested using a tube...I am guessing it is a rectifier....I didn't verify the tube type.

Any thought or input would be appreciated.

Well an out of calibration piece of test equipment is about as useless as a gun with no ammunition... so the answer is yes to both.
 
I have a nice B&K Dyna-Jet 606 tube tester. It is in good shape and has never been banged around. It seems to work well, and reliably measures tube strength......etc.

Do I need to worry about calibration or recapping it. I pulled to top cover off and found 2-3 caps. There is no visual evidence of them leaking or failing.

I was also surprised to find a tube under the cover. I guess I just didn't think of a tube tested using a tube...I am guessing it is a rectifier....I didn't verify the tube type.

Any thought or input would be appreciated.

This site has some info but not the calibration procedure for your model, as far as I could tell.
http://www.tone-lizard.com/B&K.html
 
There isn't much to calibrate on the B&K 606 - it's a pretty simple emissions tester.

The grid emissions and short function are adjustable - they require a 20meg and 1meg resistor. The procedure is explained in the manual.

There isn't an adjustment for emissions - just make sure the 47 ohm resistor is within 5%.

I recall the 6BN8 is for the grid emission test.

There are actually 4 caps - I'd replace the two electrolytics - a 200uf/4v part (use a 220v/16v cap) and a 5uf/250v (us a 4.7uf/250v cap) and leave the two disc ceramic caps alone (they rarely fail).

The manual etc are online at http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/b&k/606-2/

- Gary
 
Thank you. That is exactly what I needed.....I had the tube setting book but not the tester's owner manual.

Perfect.

There isn't much to calibrate on the B&K 606 - it's a pretty simple emissions tester.

The grid emissions and short function are adjustable - they require a 20meg and 1meg resistor. The procedure is explained in the manual.

There isn't an adjustment for emissions - just make sure the 47 ohm resistor is within 5%.

I recall the 6BN8 is for the grid emission test.

There are actually 4 caps - I'd replace the two electrolytics - a 200uf/4v part (use a 220v/16v cap) and a 5uf/250v (us a 4.7uf/250v cap) and leave the two disc ceramic caps alone (they rarely fail).

The manual etc are online at http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/b&k/606-2/

- Gary
 
Back
Top Bottom