• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

California Audio Labs CD player question

highping

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've had this CD player for awhile. It has/had an issue where it would start to cut out after playing half way through a CD. Took a look inside today an noticed a capacitor sitting high off of the board. It broke off when I tried to bend it back.
Decided to power up the player to see what effect the missing capacitor would have. Well, it had none. Figured the left or right output would be dead, or one side louder than the other.
Waiting to see if it cuts out like it did before.
Anyone have an answer for why the missing capacitor isn't effecting output? Pic attached.DSCF9615b.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Between the capacitors looks to be a bridge rectifier so the capacitors would be filter capacitors for the raw supply feeding the voltage regulators next to each capacitor. The regulator probably won't like all of the ripple caused by the missing capacitor. What are the part numbers on the round thing between the capacitors and the two parts with heat sinks on them.

Craig
 
Last edited:
That looks like the Icon MK2 with powerboss hdcd. I have one that I recently reconnected after 10 yrs but the transport is skipping occassionally. It seems to be the laser mechanism which makes a slight scrapping sound occassionally. Ha. but the music sounds great. I can't tell what is causing this. Any ideas? or who repairs these?
 
Back
Top Bottom