• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

California burning

draftingmonkey

AK Monkey
Wow, amazing what 24 hours of high winds and temps and low humidity (5%) can do. Seems as if SoCal is going up in flames :worried:. Came into work at 0 dark thirty and the car was covered in ash and the drive in was like a light fog. Have been keeping and eye out to the mountains to the east and in the last 15 minutes have seen the flames crest a ridge line. Not that near the fires but I do work in Irvine and anyone watching knows that the fires are at the east edge of the city. Hope my fellow SoCal members are doing OK. Check in and let us know what it is like near you. BTW we still have at least another 24+ hours of these winds to deal with
 
Register to hide this ad
I drive the old 94 to the 87 and down the 67 almost every weekend. Its a nice joyride, and I know a few people out that way. Its about only 20 miles east and 30 miles north of me and coming this way. At over 14,000 acres and only 5% contained its a worry.

Most of those poor people aren't going back to a home anytime soon.

Its the driest week on record in over 130 years, over 60 mph winds in the fire zone.
 
Hopefully nobody gets hurt and they have something to go home to when this is over. Now would be a nice time for a steady rain for a day or so.
 
Mrs. Manning just got off the phone with her mom and told me her brother and his family who are in Lake Arrowhead, have been ordered to grab what they can and evacuate. They are surrounded on all sides by fire.
 
They need the same thing we do here in E.Tn-a good toad soakin' rain for about 3,4 days straight.
 
Good thoughts for your brother-in-law, ekmanning5, and everyone down there. It sure seems a little late in the year for fires. :sigh:
 
The conditions are perfect right now for these fires. Two years ago we had the 2nd wettest year on record and last year was the 2nd driest on record. There is lots of dead brush. On top of that we are having an unusually severe Santana conditions. The winds in the canyons and passes are hitting hurricane speeds, 80mph and higher. These winds are as dry as a popcorn fart, single digit humidity. On top of everything else, the high winds are preventing the water tankers from doing air drops. Absolutely deadly conditions.

I'm in Long Beach well away from these fires and it has smelled like smoke here all day. The canyons around Malibu were hit hard yesterday and today. Some very high dollar real estate burned. There are evacuations happening all over. They are currently evacuating a substantial part of San Diego.

They expect the winds to keep blowing for a couple of days. Keep your fingers crossed that everyone gets out when they are told to leave and that the weather turns soon.

- Pete
 
If anyone needs a place to go, PM me, I'm in Victorville just north of all that. If you don't know Victorville it's between LA (90 miles north) and Las Vegas. We have room if you need it, I may have toevacuate also, but it would buy some time for those south of me.

Ron
 
The conditions are perfect right now for these fires. Two years ago we had the 2nd wettest year on record and last year was the 2nd driest on record. There is lots of dead brush. On top of that we are having an unusually severe Santana conditions. The winds in the canyons and passes are hitting hurricane speeds, 80mph and higher. These winds are as dry as a popcorn fart, single digit humidity. On top of everything else, the high winds are preventing the water tankers from doing air drops. Absolutely deadly conditions.

I'm in Long Beach well away from these fires and it has smelled like smoke here all day. The canyons around Malibu were hit hard yesterday and today. Some very high dollar real estate burned. There are evacuations happening all over. They are currently evacuating a substantial part of San Diego.

They expect the winds to keep blowing for a couple of days. Keep your fingers crossed that everyone gets out when they are told to leave and that the weather turns soon.

- Pete

Pete, they have evacuated 300,000 from the SD area, last I heard.
 
Oh boy.........its not getting better

Two MAJOR fires in San Diego. One to the north, looks like its headed all the way to the coast. They are evacuating some of my friends in Del Mar, Encinitas, and Carlsbad. One to the south and looks like its heading to the ENE towards Chula Vista and Jamul. I'm right in the middle of the two. But I'm close to downtown, so I doubt that it will get this close. But its freaky to say the least, and the Santa Ana's don't look like they are letting up until at least Wednesday. There are only a few ways to escape the line of fire here. My friends in Encinitas are headed north towards Carlsbad, but I heard its not much better up there. Of course they can't go too far north cause of the Fallbrook fire. Geez..........Maybe I'll just head to Coronado Island just to be safe. :yes: Anyways, hope everyone here is ok, and hope to hear from all you. Check in please.
-Derek:music:
 
Wow, my brother just sold his house and moved away from there. (Naval officer ordered to D.C.)
I hope that my fellow AK'rs and their families who live in the area remain safe and sound through this.

Rj
 
Got into work this a.m. and man, does it stink in here. Smell of smoke is pretty heavy. We still have most of a day of high Santana (Devil) Winds ahead of us and low humidity so we shall see what the day brings. This is not a good start to the windy season that usually runs till January. Lets hope for a little rain and cooler temps soon. If you happen to believe, say a prayer or two for the fire fighters out there on the lines. Pretty rough conditions for them.
 
We had an "orange sky" all day up here in the San Gabriel Valley, and I'd imagine today we'll have the "red sky" effect. We're about smack dab in the center of a triangle connecting the fires in Malibu, Lake Arrowhead and San Diego. It's 2003 all over again in San Diego County.
 
We had an "orange sky" all day up here in the San Gabriel Valley, and I'd imagine today we'll have the "red sky" effect. We're about smack dab in the center of a triangle connecting the fires in Malibu, Lake Arrowhead and San Diego. It's 2003 all over again in San Diego County.

Are you thinking of evacuating?
 
We nearly did. At about 1am i was awakened by the sound of th television in the living room. My mother was freaking out and told me to look out the window. I saw San Miguel burning bright, which is only about 5 miles from us. I helped pack up 3 cars (mine included) in case we had to leave.

With the darkness around us it looked like the fire was just down the road a ways. I was a bit worried to say the least. When sanity finally set in and I realized it was 5 miles away and not 5 blocks I calmed down a bit. When the winds started blowing to the west and not to the north I went back to bed. I got about 3 hours of real sleep.

I'm not unloading the car until I'm sure this **** is going to blow by us.
 
I am much too far west to be in any real danger at this point. However, the kids are off from school and my employer canceled work today due to the wildfires, so we are all home on this unanticipated day off. I guess that's what 's called "silver lining".

I will probably sit right here all day listening to music and making random posts on AK in areas I know absolutely nothing about (what else is new?), so please be forewarned!

Rgds,
 
Back
Top Bottom