• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Camaro ZL1 beats Mustang GT500 - First Comparison Test

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The first comparison test is in, and to the surprise of Mustang fanboys everywhere, the GT500 came in second. Yes, it was faster in the straight line, but the ZL1 was just the better all around car. Inside Line said:

But it's not the $5,815 cost advantage that wins the comparison test for the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. It's this car's ability to fight above its weight class that makes it undeniably more attractive. It's virtually unprecedented that a car with such a dramatic power deficit and weight disadvantage could come out ahead.

So in other words, we were wrong. When it comes to pony cars, it's not always about horsepower. At least not anymore.


So it looks like Oppenheimer was right after all.

The winner:

2012_chevrolet_camaro-zl1_f34_ns_209112_717.jpg


Full test right here:

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet...ord-mustang-shelby-gt500-comparison-test.html
 
Register to hide this ad
funny thing is, in terms of handling I suspect the Laguna Seca version would easily kick the GT-500's butt.

Considering what some folks will pay (up charge) for the GT-500 one could easily buy a Z-06 Vette, arguably the best naturally asspirated car for the $$ around and the GT-500 would stare at it's tailights all day long !
 
Edmunds always seems to get slower acceleration numbers than say, Car and Driver.

So what they're saying is if you actually drive on roads, then you want the ZL1. Looks like the Shelby is the better car if you drive in straight lines only. Can't wait to see the ZL1 come out on top in the Lightning Lap next year. :D
 
I like the looks of the GT500 better. I doubt I would ever drive it to its limit so that's what I'd have to base my purchase on. Of course if I had that kind of money to spend I'd probably get a used Ferrari 308. :D
 
I'd take the GT500 any day over the ZL1 on looks alone. The handling performance difference isn't enough to matter to 99% of buyers.
 
But it isn't only handling. It was drivability too. The Camaro had the better ride. It did not have a stupid tall first gear, just designed for magazine 0-60 runs, which made it a pain in every day driving.

Except for straight line speed, the Camaro is the all around better car.
 
This statement sums it up : "but the ZL1 will always be the more rewarding — and easier — car to drive."

If i want to drive a car with a tall first gear to make feel like I am driving a Fiat i'll buy a Fiat and not a Mustang.
 
I like the looks of the GT500 better. I doubt I would ever drive it to its limit so that's what I'd have to base my purchase on.

I like the look of both cars, but I'd be going for the ZL1. I know how Magneride works at limits, it's awesome. :yes:


Except for straight line speed, the Camaro is the all around better car.

Thanks to the CTS-V crowd, the LSA has a huge aftermarket if the ZL1 isn't fast enough. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom