• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cambridge SoundWorks - Newton Series II M55 Bookshelf Speakers

afswolf

New Member
Any thoughts on the Cambridge SoundWorks - Newton Series II M55 Bookshelf Speakers? They look good and are reviewed well, but are they really good? I'm looking for affordable bookshelf speakers for listening to a variety of music, but mostly classic rock and alternative. Also, I'd like enough bass from the speakers that a sub would not be needed. The Cambridge Soundworks Model Six have been recommended, so how do these compare?

Thanks for the help.
 
Register to hide this ad
Any thoughts on the Cambridge SoundWorks - Newton Series II M55 Bookshelf Speakers? They look good and are reviewed well, but are they really good? I'm looking for affordable bookshelf speakers for listening to a variety of music, but mostly classic rock and alternative. Also, I'd like enough bass from the speakers that a sub would not be needed. The Cambridge Soundworks Model Six have been recommended, so how do these compare?

Thanks for the help.

I don't know how they compare but I'd bet the M55's are very good. A good friend designed them and he knows his way around speakers.
 
I've got a pair of M85's that I bought on this CSW clearance sale.
Very impressed for the coin with what you can get new from CSW.
I needed another pair of bookshelves at work for supplemental sound in a workshop area and these have fit the bill perfectly.
I don't know how they compare to 6's but I'm sure it's favorable.
Mine run in the WS on the same receiver with my morel DIY's in the office and the morel are clearly the better speakers but also cost double in parts (ON SALE) what my m85's did.
I have no complaints and I'm picky.

Tal
 
Thanks for that info. The M55 are on clearance now, and look like a good deal. I've been looking for some small bookshelfs with decent bass, great sound, and low cost. Maybe these will do it. If not, there is the Cambridge Soundworks gaurantee for 30 days.
 
Cambridge Sound Works M55

I recently bought a pair of C.S.W. M50's. They are a very good sounding speaker pair. And deliver reasonable bass for they size. Deep satisfying bass . . . no. They don't compair to my JBL S312's with 12 in. woofers and 4 in. midrange. But they do have a nice balanced sound. The silk dome tweeter is very easy on the ears. Not harsh at all! The M55's have 2 front mounted bass ports verses a single rear mounted port for my M50's. So I would immagine they have a bit more bass.
If I were shopping for speakers I would bring a reference CD to a store with a good listening area and listen to all they had to offer. Then shop online to find what you are looking for! Remember. . . speakers need a bit of break in to sound their best. So if you buy new. Find a retailer with a 30 or 60 day satisfaction policy! And give the new speakers a chance. They do change timber and the woofer surrounds become more responsive with some playback time!
Shop and enjoy listening. Hope you discover what you are looking for!
 
Back
Top Bottom