• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can anybody identify this turntable?

Register to hide this ad
I know what the guitar amp is.... :yes:

The turntable screams "Ampeg" to me for some reason, though I doubt that's what it is.

I want the Son House LP.

Didn't watch the video, but it's a cool picture.
 
Newcomb was a maker of institutional record players located in Hollywood CA. It resembles one, though not a model I have seen.
 
There were portable transcription TT's that one could use to cut a record, ala Rek-O-Kut. I wonder if that's what that is.
 
Newcomb/Califone. Had one at my elementary school.

I thought that the TC-252 was a transport only machine....that has electronics in it.
 
Newcomb/Califone. Had one at my elementary school.

I thought that the TC-252 was a transport only machine....that has electronics in it.

I think the TC-252 had an amp & a pair of detachable speakers inclusive of the unit. I have a pair of TC-260s which are in the same 'generation', & they have two speakers & amp built into the cabinet. The transport & levers, knobs look the same as the TC-252 in the video & photo. The TC-250 WAS a transport deck only, with no built in speakers or amp. It had a preamp, of course. Its appearence was almost exactly like the TC-260, minus the speakers, amp, & volume-treble-bass knobs.

My TC-260s were made between 1966-1969, so they are 40 years old at the youngest. After cleaning them up & demagging the heads I replaced the motor run capacitor in both of them. They run very well now, though I don't often try recording with them. But they are pretty good for playback during transfers to CDR for most average pre-recorded or home-recorded consumer grade tapes. They run at 3-3/4 & 7-1/2 IPS, so most tapes can be played back easily. I also have a TC-377 from 1973 that will run at 1-7/8 IPS also, just in case I come across some crummy-sounding home recording done at that slow speed(same speed as cassettes, but without all the 'tweaks' that made cassettes a reasonable hi-fi medium).
 
I have a TC-252 it is a great design. It comes with 2 mics that fit in a side compartment of the reel to reel and 2 detachable speakers. It's very portable and I was able to try some recording with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom