• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can anyone identify these JBL speakers?

robback

Active Member
Have a chance to buy a pair of these old JBL speakers, but I can't figure out what they are. I'm suspecting the drivers are not original since they look new. The crossovers seem to be original but I can't find info about them. Any help would be appreciated. Model numbers, info, what have you? Thanks.

jbl1.jpg jbl2.jpg jbl3.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Woofer is for sure JBL, looks like a E or LE series driver that was reconed...but still has a lansaloy surround? Not sure about the tweeter.
 
The woofer is JBL. Research lansalloy, that's what the surround is made of. It needs to be refoamed. Lansalloy changed from flexible to rigid very quickly.
 
I have forgotten the model, but I know they’re really collectible. Four figure collectible in the threads I've seen. Get them if the price is right, I’ll find the model later. Like don’t wait!
Edit: I think they are the Dale, but the baffle and woofer looks a little different.
 
Last edited:
Those drivers are definitely original. The tweeters are JBL LE-30 models which were available in the early to mid 1960's and were then superceded by the LE-20 by 1967. Those tweeters sell for good money on FleaBay if the domes have not been damaged and they still function properly. These were the tweeters typically used in the JBL Minigon system and people restoring those speakers love to get their hands on these tweeters in perfect condition if they can find them.
 
Dale or a derivative of it, I actually had one a long time ago, but it should have an LE8T full range in there, not what is shown.
 
Thanks to all of you, particularly for the speed of response. I needed to decide whether to bid on these, and I'm hoping to get them for under $30.
JBL C49 Dale 1962 I'm told.

I hope you do. Any vintage JBL in good shape is worth more than $30!
 
Dale or a derivative of it, I actually had one a long time ago, but it should have an LE8T full range in there, not what is shown.
Ok. I know the pictures aren't good, and I'm getting different opinions about whether they are original or not, but I'll give it a flyer. It's an online auction so it's a crapshoot, but if I can get them cheap enough, maybe there's enough parts value still intact.

I don't really flip speakers for the money. For me the excitement is having vintage stuff that still works, or I can tinker with. Cabs would need refinishing, and who knows about caps, etc.

In any event, I am currently outbid....will get back in later today. I will report back.
 
Having hopped around a few websites where there are other experts, it seems the Dale could be had in a full range or two way configuration. If one looks at the grilles on the pair you’re looking at, there is one significant difference. The split in the befel is more of a 50/50, all of the (now many) images I’ve seen of the factory C49 Dale speakers are more of a 60/40, favoring the bottom portion. The baffles on the pair you are looking at also seem different, I don’t see a port or the plate which could be put over the port. Could be the photo tho.
The drivers do look correct, as does the crossover and terminal plate.
Here is a pair overseas, from a seemingly well versed seller. Note the pics.
C980DA02-7504-43F1-9C46-3740F869F3F1.png
 
Last edited:
Thanks, @Ds2000 I've also been hunting around for information, and it seems there was a kit version too. You are correct that these don't have the port/port cover and they did come in two configs, see image.

Well, if I "win" them, I'll pick them up tomorrow. For all I know, its a bunch of old parts that don't work in a wooden box. Then again, it's as much about the thrill of the chase to find old gold.
jobc49dale.jpg
 
Guys - member @Audio Fan has posted a pair of these exact same speakers in the 'what's your best speaker score' thread right here on AK. He reckons they will stay with him for good. They look like the same configuration shown here too.
 
The "cat" is seriously out of the bag now. I won't post the link, (you can look it up), search JBL Dale on Ebay, their is a pair listed now.
 
Last edited:
Thanks to all of you who lent a hand. Unfortunately, the bidding in the auction got fierce at the last minute, and I believe they ended up selling for $130 Canadian. Which is more than I'm willing to spend on speakers I haven't auditioned, and with questionable condition. Tough decision for me, since the friggin parts (if they worked - drivers, crossovers) seem to fetch significant money, if one can find a buyer. But I'm not in the business of doing this for money. DANG!

Without the help, I wouldn't have bid at all. Win some, lose some.
 
Almost any vintage JBLs would be worth way more than that. The tweeters alone are worth US $300.
Yeah, I know. I saw a pair of similar crossovers for $600 a pair. But like I said, I'm really not in it for the money, but the fun, and trying to sell the speakers, either intact, or parted out, isn't something I'm interested in. I'm interested in listening to them, and then maybe eventually reselling locally, but the demand for these would be small, and finding a local buyer willing to pony up what these things go for in the market would be hard.

I'm disappointed but someone out there willing to do the work, and/or refurbish, recap, refoam, and ship could make a bundle. I'm OK with that.
 
Back
Top Bottom