• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Can Capacitor stuffing question

grindfix

Full time hobby
Subscriber
I'm putting together a smallish amp that will be using a voltage doubler PS. In order to have a nicer under-the-chassis layout, I plan to stuff one of the vintage cans and mount it up top.
Are there any objections against stuffing both doubler caps, screen, and driver supply caps into the same can?
Obviously, doubler caps will be insulated from the can. I typically do not ground my stuffed capacitors to the can common and run separate ground leads out to correct ground points. This one will have 2 ground leads. One for doubler + screen and another one for driver/inverter.
Thanks for your thoughts!
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm putting together a smallish amp that will be using a voltage doubler PS. In order to have a nicer under-the-chassis layout, I plan to stuff one of the vintage cans and mount it up top.
Are there any objections against stuffing both doubler caps, screen, and driver supply caps into the same can?
Obviously, doubler caps will be insulated from the can. I typically do not ground my stuffed capacitors to the can common and run separate ground leads out to correct ground points. This one will have 2 ground leads. One for doubler + screen and another one for driver/inverter.
Thanks for your thoughts!

@grindfix not sure if it will help, but check out the custom caps offered by Hayseed ham fest.com. They offer all sorts of combinations, that may save you some time trying to DIY a custom cap.
 
Seriously doubt Hayseed is going to combine 2 can caps making up a voltage doubler into one. It would be prohibitively expensive. He's better off going DIY.
 
I'm sure they could do it, not really sure that it would have to be any more expensive than ordering any other custom cap from them. I don't know their process but I assume they just use commonly available capacitors and load them into the cans. If thats the case its not really any more work to do one config vs another but an uncommon setup might be more prone to mistakes.
 
Seriously doubt Hayseed is going to combine 2 can caps making up a voltage doubler into one. It would be prohibitively expensive. He's better off going DIY.

I would still contact them. other option is to go the adapt a cap route, with their mini PCB where you can solder in what ever caps you want in whatever config you want.
 
might have to do a little surgery on an Adapt-A-Cap board, they are intended to give you a common whatever and up to 4 individual terminals. I'm sure you can slice a trace and shuffle things around though.
 
Back
Top Bottom