I have a Sansui G-901 with a power transformer that is mechanically buzzing. I’m trying to determine whether the transformer itself is the problem or whether something in the receiver is placing an abnormal load on the transformer and causing it to buzz.
With the transformer secondary windings disconnected from the receiver circuitry, the transformer is quiet. As I reconnect the secondary windings, the buzzing returns. The 52 VAC secondary appears to be the one that causes most of the buzzing.
I’d like to test the transformer independently under load. Would it be reasonable to connect appropriately sized power resistors directly across the secondary windings to create a dummy load that approximates the normal load of the G-901?
If so, does anyone know the approximate current/VA ratings of the individual G-9000/G-901 secondary windings, particularly the 52 VAC secondary, or have recommendations for appropriate resistor values and wattages? I want to load the transformer enough to determine whether the buzzing occurs under a normal resistive load without risking damage to the transformer.
My goal is to determine whether the transformer itself buzzes when subjected to a comparable resistive load. If it remains quiet with the dummy load but buzzes when the 52 VAC secondary is connected back to the receiver circuitry, I would think that points toward an issue downstream of the transformer.
Has anyone tried this type of test on a G-9000/G-901, or have any suggestions for a better way to isolate the cause?
Thank you,
Mecii
With the transformer secondary windings disconnected from the receiver circuitry, the transformer is quiet. As I reconnect the secondary windings, the buzzing returns. The 52 VAC secondary appears to be the one that causes most of the buzzing.
I’d like to test the transformer independently under load. Would it be reasonable to connect appropriately sized power resistors directly across the secondary windings to create a dummy load that approximates the normal load of the G-901?
If so, does anyone know the approximate current/VA ratings of the individual G-9000/G-901 secondary windings, particularly the 52 VAC secondary, or have recommendations for appropriate resistor values and wattages? I want to load the transformer enough to determine whether the buzzing occurs under a normal resistive load without risking damage to the transformer.
My goal is to determine whether the transformer itself buzzes when subjected to a comparable resistive load. If it remains quiet with the dummy load but buzzes when the 52 VAC secondary is connected back to the receiver circuitry, I would think that points toward an issue downstream of the transformer.
Has anyone tried this type of test on a G-9000/G-901, or have any suggestions for a better way to isolate the cause?
Thank you,
Mecii