• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can I repair voice coil myself?

guitar_freak

Active Member
Have a pair of Cerwin Vega V-153 speakers and the voice coils needs to be repaired on one of the speakers. Can I do this myself?

lots of instructional videos on YouTube but this will be the first voice coil I have ever repaired.

if I could find the correct sized wire is it practical to try and do this myself?
 
Register to hide this ad
Which driver? I doubt you could wind a new voice coil by yourself without appropriate tools, but most VC wire breaks occur at the very end of the coil, so it's frequently possibly to just unwind one revolution and resolder.
 
If a woofer or midrange, for sure many people can, so probably you can do it. I did it a couple of times without any special tool, just my fingers, so it's not impossible. I'm talking about winding new wire on the original VC former still attached to the cone, not building a complete VC from scratch. To make a new VC you need to be very precise about the diameter and shape, not so easy to do.

A tweeter is a different challenge, but can be done.

A pict would be hepful. As mentioned, it could be the VC is still good and you need to restore the continuity to the tabs. And sometimes the VC is severe burned and you need to remove the old wire.
 
Back
Top Bottom