• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can I use Cerwin Vega D5's woofers to replace those of D7's?

smo942

New Member
I posted sometimes ago re a pair of Cerwin-Vega D7s that I got for free. The 12 in woofers (model # l22w2) needed new surrounds and this week just as I was about to buy a re-foam kit online, I found a listing on *bay for a pair of in-good-shape CV D5’s woofers with new surrounds.

These are also 12 in, though the model number is different (L121-4). The seller stated that they could handle up to 150 w. I’m trying to decide :scratch2: between spending about 30 bucks for the refoam kit, or around 80 bucks for the D5’s woofers (including shipping) which the seller said in replying to my inquiry would also work in my D7’s.

Please weigh in with your do’s and don’ts. Thanks in advance for your input.:thmbsp:
 
Register to hide this ad
I would stay with what you have. They are differant model type with differant parameters. They were made specific for the box size, like yours are. Refoaming is a good thing to learn to do and not all that hard. Same some money, learn a new skill enjoy a good accurate speaker when done.
DC
 
Good advice

I would stay with what you have. They are differant model type with differant parameters. They were made specific for the box size, like yours are. Refoaming is a good thing to learn to do and not all that hard. Same some money, learn a new skill enjoy a good accurate speaker when done.
DC
Thanks DC, I will heed your advice and go the refoaming route....
smo
 
As long as you don't care about the color, you can use plain old grey foam, which can be significantly cheaper yet, depending on the source.
 
I got refoam from speaker xchange tampa fl

Well... if you have C-Vs, you just gotta have red foam. :)

heeding the advice of another member, more expensive than others. Red one side, grey on the other. Hope they're worth it. Now on the verge of getting my hands dirty. Will post the end results hopefully in the not too distant future.
Again, thank you all for advice/input.:thmbsp:
smo
 
Back
Top Bottom