• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can my amp power four 4 ohm speakers?

mhutchins

New Member
I have a Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp rated at 40wpc minimum. I have 2 KEF C80 4 ohm speakers. I just bought 2 more KEF C25 speakers to round out the sound. I plan on hooking these up on channel B in the back of the amp. Is 4 4ohm speakers asking too much of my amp?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've had a 3500 powering a pair of 4 Ohm KLH 20 model Twenty speakers for a couple of years now. Sounds great, no issues with heat or anything like that. Plenty pf power for those supposedly inefficient speakers. Now, whether it's doing any damage or not, I have no idea.

Nice little integrated. Cute, too.
 
Welcome to AK :).....That is a nice little integrated amp you have. I had one and loved it. As to hooking up 4 4ohm speakers, I would not. You say you want to round out the sound, what do you mean by this? I guess the question is what are you trying to achieve
 
Very few amps and even fewer vintage amps can handle a 2 ohm load. Your Kenwood is not one of them. It should be fine driving one 4 ohm pair at a time.
 
For the record, this amp was cleaned internally and any bad parts replaced by the previous owner 2 years ago. It works flawlessly.
 
Can I wire them as show at the bottom of the attached file?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-25-09.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-25-09.png
    79 KB · Views: 26
The diagram for two speakers in series is the one to follow. Two 4 Ohm speakers in series (for each channel) will produce an 8 Ohm load (for each channel).
 
So, I've been doing some reading online and there is something called series-parallel wiring. It maintains the same ohms as the speakers. Curious if anyone had tried this.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-33-12.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-33-12.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 11
I don't quite understand how series parallel applies here. You will be connecting two speakers to each channel. Connect them in series per your own diagram.
 
Obviously, using this configuration I would connect all 4 speakers to the same channel.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-49-58.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-23-12-49-58.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 8
I am playing 3 sets of speakers in different areas of the house. I connect 3 amps each running a set of speakers, all playing same music.
Get another integrated amp. Amp1 TAPE/REC (out) to Amp2 AUX (in). You can chain amps. It is a great reason to decide you need another amp.
 
Obviously, using this configuration I would connect all 4 speakers to the same channel.

Your amp cannot be bridged like a pro amp can. Also connecting all the speakers to one channel would be mono. And a third thing is wattage. When you connect 2 speakers to one channel they share the wattage. With 40wpc each speaker would get 20 watts. If you connected 4 speakers to one channel they would each get 10 watts.
 
upload_2016-1-23_15-38-5.pngThis would plug into A input Left.

upload_2016-1-23_15-38-54.pngThis would plug into A input Right

Resistance in Series is additive. You would have all four speakers engaged at the same time and the amp would be happy at a ~8 ohm load.
 
Back
Top Bottom