• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can you ID this speaker?

Quadrunner

Active Member
Alright guys, this one looks mass produced budget speaker to me, but I can't really come up with a model number. Any guesses? Its a realistic speaker of some sort.
 

Attachments

  • Speaker ID.jpg
    Speaker ID.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 152
Register to hide this ad
No sorry, its just pulled off the internet. Its fair size trip to see them, but I'm just so darn curious. They look like a cheaper mock version of the mach 1's to me. The horn looks to be mostly show, as the two outer slots are just moldings.
 
Last edited:
Those are exactly what you think they are Quadrunner- cheap speakers from an all-in-one stereo. I have no idea who made them, but I run across ones that look like those in almost every thrift store I enter. I'd pass them up...
 
To me the plastic looks like the 1980's for some reason. I'll check it out sometime now that I've got access to that website just so I can sleep easy at night. Thanks guys.
 
They are smaller than you hope they are, and no better than you fear they are. Probably not terrible, but not worth a 15 minute drive, much less a long one.
 
Well that solves that mystery. Looks like a rip off for $200+ back then! My entire modest 4 speaker setups cost me less then that in modern $$ with a lot lower then 5% THD. Wow, I can't believe this is the same company that sold the minimus 7 and so many good, (some great) affordable speakers. The woman in the second ad seems to be some sort of mermaid. :rflmao:
 
Last edited:
They are Realistic as we can see but they are not Mach 1's. Your pic looks like the Realistic Clarinettes model from 1975. The Mach 1 horn went all the way across from side to side and right from the top down to the grill.
Also had 15" woofer,160 watt handling capacity and adjustable crossover and considered by many to be a wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. Mach 1 specs below.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/realistic/mach-one.shtml

Realistic Mach 1's:

fronts no grills.jpg
 
Last edited:
They are Realistic as we can see but they are not Mach 1's. The Mach 1 horn went all the way across from side to side and right from the top down to the grill.
Also had 15" woofer,160 watt handling capacity and adjustable crossover and considered by many to be a wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. Mach 1 specs below.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/realistic/mach-one.shtml

Realistic Mach 1's:

View attachment 773290

Can't wait for the day some of those things shows up in my area. I've always wanted to try one, although the ferrofluid drivers are a cause for concern as they age. They have that look where you just know lot of people run them like they were new. The ebay cult prices are insane for those things. A lot of people [try to] charge more then they costed new. Ooooh vintage...Take my money!!!:rolleyes: I guess I shouldn't knock it till I try it lol. If I look at those woofers long enough I'd probably do just about anything they told me.
 
Last edited:
ΛΛΛ Yeah by coincidence a pair of Mach 1's just showed up on Kijiji one hour's drive from me - the guy wants $350 and the woofers are punched. Of course his ad says good condition. On another page there's the 15" woofers mint condition in the box a pair for $100. So you're looking at $450 - I don't think so you can get vintage Cerwin Vegas a lot nicer than that for @ $300.


Woofers - $100
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/...4a/1174480880?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Mach 1 - $350
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/mis...rs/1187979522?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Mach 2 - $200
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/...rs/1189128739?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and then there's this by comparison:

Cerwin Vega 316r - 400 watt - $350
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1188423460

I think the choice is clear!
 
Back
Top Bottom