• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can you identify these Polk Audio speakers?

wired4sound

New Member
I don't have a photo, and all I know is that they're old three way speakers about 20 inches tall, by about 10 inches roughly square. I have the opportunity to purchase them for 160 Australian dollars (speakers are more expensive in Australia unfortunately), and I'm trying to work out if they'd be a good match for my Sansui AU-555. Is anyone here able to i.d. these speakers even on such bare information? Or are you able to offer a general comment on the synergy typical Polk Audio speakers might have, if any, with my old Sansui?

(Am currently using Pioneer CS-77 speakers, but want to upgrade.)
 
Register to hide this ad
monitor series,, maybe 7's,, are they fused on the back? What color is the tweet,and does it have a "dimple" in the center?
 
Here's a Monitor 7A:

Polkmonitor7Asn4900.jpg


Here's an early Monitor Series Model 10 ("Monitor 10"):

P1020559.jpg


Here's a Monitor 5(B?):

Monitor5.jpg



Note that the "woofer" cones are in fact passive radiators, not driven cones; these are actually two-way speakers that are effectively ported (even though the cabinets are sealed) via the PR.

There is a good form and some information on legacy products at Polk's website:

www.polkaudio.com
 
From my user name you can guess that I have a warm spot in my heart for most vintage Polks. If they are in fact monitor 7 then go for it. I am using a set for center channel and rear center in my home theater. I only paid $50 US, but I guess you won't have the same luck in Australia. The monitor 7 came in many versions, the original followed by an A, B and finally C. I own the C. The original and the A came with the peerless tweeter which is the most desirable version. My C's sound sound warm, and natural. I love cranking up the volume and watching the mid and PR dance to the tunes. BTW Polk offers a replacement tweeter for about $48 US each I think it's called the RDO and it's suppose to sound better than the 'Silver Voice Coil'. Tomorrow I am picking up a pair of Monitor 5jr version 2 that will replace my rear surrounds finishing my vintage Polk HT, I will finally have a different Polk tweeter to compare mine to. I'll then have to determine if I want to replace the tweeters on my fronts RTA12c's and the front and rear center Monitor 7c's to match. This hobby never ends! Good Luck. BTW Polk has a dedicated vintage forum, google 'Club Polk Forum' for more Polk information.
 
Back
Top Bottom