• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can you identify these speakers?

NealinNevada

THE Bozak Museum of NV
Last night I ran across these speakers ($5)...I couldn't resist :D. They are in decent cases and all the drivers are intact. I have not yet plugged them. Here are the dimensions:

19" tall x 14" wide x 14" deep

In the front there is a 10" woofer and a 2.5" tweeter. On the side next to the front there is a 2.5" tweeter. All the drivers have cloth surrounds and at the bottom it says "Made in Japan" and there are two screw lugs for connecting the speakers to the power unit. EDIT: I took the woofer out of one of the cabinets and they have cast aluminum baskets. Tweeters are enclosed in a sealed plastic container.

I would say they weigh about 25 lbs each. I appreciate your looking and advice...thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 100_0334a.jpg
    100_0334a.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
They kinda' look like Realistic cabs ........... they had a few end-table / lampstand looking speakers. But they probably would be labeled if they were RS.
 
Here are pictures of the woofer and tweeter...I also noticed that there is a 8 ohm RCA type plugin next to the speaker terminal lugs. Searched inside the cabinet for info, none there. I Elna capacitor on the crossover and a choke coil.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0335a.jpg
    100_0335a.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_0336a.jpg
    100_0336a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
That is what I thought as well was HK. That looks just like the old 10" cast woofer that Radio Shack first used in one of their models.........
DC
 
They kinda' look like Realistic cabs ........... they had a few end-table / lampstand looking speakers. But they probably would be labeled if they were RS.

Yep, those are Realistic Optimus speakers... don't remember which model number. I fixed up a pair of them for someone here... needed surrounds reglued to one woofer and a replacement tweeter, and some replacement bolts to go where someone had lost a few. They got lucky. I had a single tweeter from a junked-out Optiumus 2... perfect fit.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I too thought Radio Shack when I saw the drivers as they look like the type of Japan sourced units RS used back in the late 60's and early 70's. Load some EPI drivers in there and they might sound really good! (lol)
 
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1972-a_small/
page 32/33: optimus 4
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • naamloos.JPG
    naamloos.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 264
I had no idea what they were..you can count on this bunch to figure it out, no matter what they are, and quick usually...

I dig em bad!!
even if they don't sound the best..we have the technology....:thmbsp:
 
They look MUCH nicer in the OP than in the catalog page, IMO. Really attractive wood speakers.
 
Thank you all for your help in solving the mystery...this forum has so much knowledge it is scary :yes:! Now, none of the tweeters work and they are 16 ohm tweeters (two of them wired parallel for net 8 ohm resistance). Does anyone know where I might find these tweeters? BTW, the cabinets are pretty nice and do look much better than the Realistic ad.
 
I too thought Radio Shack when I saw the drivers as they look like the type of Japan sourced units RS used back in the late 60's and early 70's. Load some EPI drivers in there and they might sound really good! (lol)

Good idea :scratch2:...I've got a set of EPI inverted dome tweeters and I could come up with the woofers somewhere (any hints would be appreciated).
 
Those woofers they came with actually look pretty good. Cast baskets and the magnet is good size maybe just replace the tweeters and see what you've got. Your gonna want to figure out what the crossover fequency is and rework it to match with your replacement tweeter.
 
I can get my hands on another set of EPI tweeters...the woofers can be had, but a bit more problematic. So your suggestion MOPAR3 is really doable. Does anyone know the impedance of the EPI tweeters? I can get the crossovers from EPI 100's...what do you think with a new Solens cap?
 
Neal, if you decide to go with the EPI drivers let me know. I'll walk you through the very simple (1 10uf capacitor) crossover.
 
Back
Top Bottom