• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can you Swap the Tone Arm on Any Turntable?

Sostenuto

New Member
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post here, greetings. I am looking to get into vinyl and I'm virtually a total noob when it comes to turntables and I have a specific question about Technics turntables and your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

So I am strongly considering to pick up a vintage Technics for cheap, although I would consider other brands too but I'm leaning towards a vintage Technics at the moment and my question is, is it possible to swap out the tone arm without much pain or complications on any of the Technics that were made in the late 70's and 80's?

For example, what I would like to do is to pick up a Technics SL-Q200 or Q300 because those tables are very easy to find on the used market and ebay and they have all the features I require, such as quartz lock, they are semi or full automatic and et cetera.

However, I don't like those straight tone arms on them and most of the SL-Q series takes P-mount cartridges/head shells which I don't want. Although I am not sure how this whole P-mount business works because I never touched it before... is it only the cartridge or just the head shell or both?

Anyway, the point is I want to use the "regular" kind of cartridges and styli so I was wondering if you can change the tone arms to one of those curved ones found on tables such as the SL-1200 mk2, SL-Q2, SL-Q3, SL-1700 mk2 et cetera.

The other reason I'm interested in swapping tone arms is because most of those lower-end models offer limited adjustments. For example I would also like to have the ability to adjust the VTA and I am not sure if a model like the SL-Q2 or Q3's tonearm has that capability.

One more thing: If you have any suggestions for a different brand of tables that would be similar to the SL-1700 mkII, SL-Q2 or SL-Q3 please make them. Those are the tables (and their build and feature set) that I desire for under $100. This is not including the stylus and cartridge and other stuff.

In the end I may just pick up a Technics SL-Q2 or Q3 and call it a day but I want to know what is possible.

Sorry for the long post and I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!
 
Register to hide this ad
The base and platter assembly of the turntable are more important than the arm. Start off with a solid base (technics 1200 or similar if you want technics). There aren't many arms that attach to the technics deck. You should start out with a GOOD deck and LISTEN to it for awhile. Then upgrade to something more special.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck with your entrance into vinyl!!
 
Automatic turntables do not have the ability to change tonearms. And usually until you get into the higher end manuals do you get tonearm choice easily.
 
Welcome

Theoretically you can fit a different arm to almost anything, but exactly how hard it is varies a lot. If its an auto or semi-auto, you're going to lose those features. It also depends how the stock arm is mounted, and what the plinth construction is like. It may be difficult or nearly impossible to make a cutout for a different arm. Honestly, you're better off starting with a good solid machine before considering messing with the arm. Putting a $300 arm on a $30 table probably will not give you all that the arm has to give.

The P mount thing is both the cartridge and "headshell". There really isn't a headshell per se, the cartridge plugs straight into the end of the arm. They're not as bad as you might think. You can't adjust anything, but you don't need to. The whole idea is to standardize weight and dimensions on the cartridges so you just plug it in and listen. Honestly its a lot less frustrating to deal with than having to putz with alignment and all that. The big downside is the much more limited cartridge selection, but if you want to just play records without any fuss and bother, its the way to go. Whenever one of my friends wants a table, I usually suggest that they get a P mount, particularly if I know they aren't going to be inclined to piddle with it to get it perfect.
 
I would not go as far as saying you can retro fit a tonearm on any turntable because I have not seen every turntable. But, even TT's with automartic tonearms can be change to a manual arm although it is more difficult with the extra linkage to remove. You have to be able to manufacture your own tonearm mounting board an be skillfull at electronics and mechanical linkage....
 
I usually suggest that they get a P mount, particularly if I know they aren't going to be inclined to piddle with it to get it perfect.
Personally I like piddling. Its so much more satisfying to be tactile with a machine. Makes you part of the process!
 
Understand that. All of my own tables, save one, are 1/2" mount. I just suggest P mounts for folks who simply want to listen to music rather than play with the equipment.
 
I ended up getting a Technics SL-Q3. It sounds quite good even with the stock cartridge it came with which is an original Technics 207c. Eventually I put an AT95SE on it from LPgear and now it sounds even better.

I just wish I was able to adjust the VTA and cartridge azimuth but this turntable will do until I save up for something better. So far I was able to set up the new cartridge fairly close to where it should be and it's almost spot on in every stage of the setup. I also ordered a service manual for it since I could not find any copies on the internet and still waiting for it to arrive. This will be essential as i will be doing more detailed setup and alignment later.

My girlfriend is interested in vinyl too and we will be getting a turntable for her as well. She does not really like to fiddle with stuff so I think we will go for a straight-forward system for her, most likely a p-mount with an AT92ecd cartridge (we're trying to keep the budget low while looking for the best possible sound quality.)

I do DIY electronics as a hobby so I like to putz with alignment and fiddle with stuff. The more adjustments I have available to me the better. After much thinking I don't think I will bother with trying to transplant tonearms.
This Technics SL-Q3 is already pretty nice. The plinth is very solid and everything seems to be well designed.

I'm going to try little tweaks later on like putting adjustable feet on it so I can level it better, changing the stock cables and so on. I'm really enjoying the process as I'm building up my vinyl collection. My future upgrade will be a turntable similar to this technics but something better with more adjustments and something that is at least semi-automatic.

All in all I am pretty happy and enjoying vinyl on this Technics SL-Q3 turntable. Great little machine.
 
Last edited:
Beatcomber! I have just googled this. It means "asshole" or "arsehole" if you say it here in the UK. Erm, oh, can I say arsehole? Maybe admin can put me right on that one.:scratch2:

SORRY IN ADVANCE!:D:D:D:D:D
 
I used an SL-Q3 as a daily driver for many years. They have to be one of the easiest tables to operate and mine was absolutely bulletproof -- it never malfunctioned, ever.

You CAN adjust VTA, sort of . . . Use thicker or thinner mats (or stack multiple mats) to lower or raise the angle. What worked best with mine (with a Stanton 681 cart) was two mats. If you don't have a separate mat, you can put a beater LP (make sure it's flat) under your current mat. Try it and see if it helps. Technics also made a thicker mat that KAB sold last time I checked.

As far as azimuth, if your stylus is visibly angled in relation to the groove, it may be that your cart isn't sitting exactly flush with the headshell. Or possibly your headshell isn't exactly true (I've seen this happen). Either way, you should be able to find a way to fix it at the headshell to get the stylus to sit straight.

The SL-Q3 is a great table. To buy anything new that'd beat it, you'd have to spend some serious cash.
 
In Technics, the SL-1200 Mk II is the beginning of a deck which can have some tonearm options, the SP line are the main Technics decks which can easily allow you any tonearm you like, 12" tonearms included. The SP line was aimed at broadcasters, recording studios, and high end home users. The SP-10, SP-15, and SP-25 are the common models.
 
Hee hee, do you know what "putz" means in Yiddish? :D

Oops.. I had no clue. LOL.

Anyway, great stuff and thanks everyone for the feedback.

I don't think I will lay out some serious cash anytime soon for a turntable so I'm glad that this table works so well. The most I'd spend probably is around $200-300 and I'm not sure if that would get me something better than this.

I will try playing with mats to get the VTA right. I wonder if those anti-static mats still work okay if there is rubber or other insulating material under it. The azimuth looks okay so far but I haven't measured it yet. If it's off a little I might need to use shims or washers on the mounting screws to tilt the cartridge.
 
Last edited:
Beatcomber! I have just googled this. It means "asshole" or "arsehole" if you say it here in the UK. Erm, oh, can I say arsehole? Maybe admin can put me right on that one.:scratch2:

SORRY IN ADVANCE!:D:D:D:D:D

Putz- Rude Yiddish slang for penis, "dickhead" or fool when used to label a person.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom