• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can you tell me about the Jensen Model 4

The foam looks real good for the age of the speaker!
I have a spare tweeter if you find you need one!
 
The foam looks real good for the age of the speaker!
I have a spare tweeter if you find you need one!
I know! I was shocked at the condition. Tweeter seems fine, no dents, etc. All drivers are in amazing shape! I just want to get that X-over and wiring upgraded.
 
I'm glad to see this thread continuing. Glad that is, because I picked up a pair of Jensen Model 4 speakers at the local thrift shop. $10! And that was for the pair, not each. I felt guilty paying so little. I'd had my eye on them since November and decided that if they were still there after Xmas, I'd pick them up. The only reason I hesitated is this makes my tenth pair of speakers.

I plan to do a complete, better than new, restoration. The cab are in pretty good cosmetic shape as are the drivers. Unfortunately the previous owner replaced the woofers with Realistic drivers and hogged the hole out with a rasp or some other blunt instrument as the original woofer basket must have been a bit smaller. He also gouged a small hole in the back of each cabinet (!!??) - not with a drill, he must have used a gimlet or a penknife because, although fairly clean, the holes were not round. I have seen some strange things done to thrift shop speakers.

I want to replace that RS woofer with the correct Jensen woofer. Determining the correct model number is confusing me. In a web search C10PF comes up but that also comes up as a guitar speaker. I suspect that it is the magnet number (C for Ceramic) not the woofer number. I've been checking feeBay. No luck.

So far I have gutted the speakers and sanded the cabinets, filling the holes in the back. I'm taking pictures. If anyone is interested, I'll post them.
 
Last edited:
I want to replace that RS woofer with the correct Jensen woofer. Determining the correct model number is confusing me. In a web search C10PF comes up but that also comes up as a guitar speaker. I suspect that it is the magnet number (C for Ceramic) not the woofer number. I've been checking feeBay. No luck.

Check my pics posted above. You can see all the writing on the back of the woofer.
 
I just snagged a pair from a craigslist sale of a system. Mine need to be refoamed and I'm missing the emblems, otherwise they look quite good. Where did you get the surrounds, simply speakers or somewhere else? TIA MIke
 
Keeping the old thread and the old Jensens alive:

I finally found a pair or original woofers on 'that auction site'. The surrounds were shot of course. Rick Cobb supplied new ones and it was an easy repair. I refinished the enclosures with amber shellac and they look grand. The grills are in very good shape complete with emblems. Repairing the hogged out woofer holes in the front panel was the most difficult part. The previous owner used a rasp or some other crude instrument to make the Rat Shak woofers fit. I used epoxy putty and hardwood strips.

I replaced the original damping material with Acoustastuff from Parts Express. I think this makes a noticeable difference. It has been said that these speakers are anemic in the bass but where they are set up in my kitchen connected to an Onkyo receiver they sound very balanced when listening to the local jazz and classical station. The obligatory doghouse bass in jazz quartets is tight and full right down to the lowest note.

I refoamed the Realistic woofers just for practice. I don't know what to do with them.
 
Last edited:
Keeping the old thread and the old Jensens alive:

I finally found a pair or original woofers on 'that auction site'. The surrounds were shot of course. Rick Cobb supplied new ones and it was an easy repair. I refinished the enclosures with amber shellac and they look grand. The grills are in very good shape complete with emblems. Repairing the hogged out woofer holes in the front panel was the most difficult part. The previous owner used a rasp or some other crude instrument to make the Rat Shak woofers fit. I used epoxy putty and hardwood strips.

I replaced the original damping material with Acoustastuff from Parts Express. I think this makes a noticeable difference. It has been said that these speakers are anemic in the bass but where they are set up in my kitchen connected to an Onkyo receiver they sound very balanced when listening to the local jazz and classical station. The obligatory doghouse bass in jazz quartets is tight and full right down to the lowest note.

I refoamed the Realistic woofers just for practice. I don't know what to do with them.

I'd love to see some pics of your work! I'm currently refurbishing on some TF-3's.
 
Nice to find this thread. I, too, bought my Jensen 4's in 1972 for $99 ---and still have them. I've always liked their sound. Maybe it's just that they have been with me everywhere, and I like loyalty. I still have the old Marantz receiver, too, retired to the bedroom. Anyway, they make great second room speakers and are in pristine condition except for the woofers. Years ago I had someone replace the original woofers because I did not know they could be re-foamed. Well, now the the foam on those woofers is bad. I think I will replace them. What woofers do you recommend? Thanks, guys, it's been fun reading your posts.
 
Resurrection, part 2.

Scored some of these tonight for 35 bucks.

Sadly, the mids are stone cold dead, and the midrange pot on the crossover is frozen, with icky yellow dust on the back (I seem to recall that dust is ultra-toxic). Tweets work, woofers need a refoam, but I need a project like a hole in the head. Also, woofers have been pulled, maybe multiple times. Woofer hole lip is RIDDLED with screw holes (but I can fix that).

Anyone have some crossovers and mids??
 
Nice to find this thread. I, too, bought my Jensen 4's in 1972 for $99 ---and still have them. I've always liked their sound. Maybe it's just that they have been with me everywhere, and I like loyalty. I still have the old Marantz receiver, too, retired to the bedroom. Anyway, they make great second room speakers and are in pristine condition except for the woofers. Years ago I had someone replace the original woofers because I did not know they could be re-foamed. Well, now the the foam on those woofers is bad. I think I will replace them. What woofers do you recommend? Thanks, guys, it's been fun reading your posts.


Wanted to welcome you to AudioKarma!! Perhaps someone here could provide specs, and we could match up a woofer with Parts Express??

Good luck, SailorDave.
 
Jensen speakers from the 70's era just plain ROCK! They sound great full balanced sound; at least to me. I own a pair of Jensen 24's and Jensen 25's from the 70's. All stock speakers. Fixed them up and I absolutely love them. I actually am on the look out for more Jensen speakers from that era as I really like the bass output on them. Had a chance to get a pair of Jensen model 5's but had to pass. A little upset I could not get them but oh well. I prefer to stack my speakers as I like the sound they produce however a lot of coots on here frown on that and poke fun. That just gets a big whatever from me because I'm happy with the sound. And to me that's all that matters lol.
 
I am currently eyeballing a mids/tweets/crossover set on that site. However, don't want to pour a bunch into these. The crossovers on mine are corroded solid. Mid knob barely moves at all.

If I DO part them out, I'll contact ya SailorDave, see if you might be interested in my woofers.

The romantic in me says fix em, but the pragmatic in me says "Hey dummy, you're trying to scale back and buy a new house. "

Decisions.

And thanks, woofercooker.
 
I prefer to stack my speakers as I like the sound they produce however a lot of coots on here frown on that and poke fun. That just gets a big whatever from me because I'm happy with the sound. And to me that's all that matters lol.

Ultimately, yes, if you're happy, I'm happy for you.

However, having at one time loving that "stacked" sound, I now loathe it. Those old coots frown on it for a reason, one that may or may not matter to you just yet. It's called "comb filtering".

But yes, if you're happy, then rock out!
 
Resurrecting again —

My brother picked up a working pair of model 4’s. He lives out of town. When I visit him I would like to replace the crossover cap. Does anyone know the value of it?
 
Last edited:
Hey guys
Picked these up months ago at a local thrift store. I am finally getting around to re-foaming them to see how they sound. The cabinets are a rather sturdy walnut covered MDF, and the 10 inch woofer seems well built enough with a decent magnet. The mid is in fine shape behind the grille, but the dome tweeter has wrinkles in it as if it was pushed in and pulled back out.

Does anybody have any experience with this era Jensen? I know their earlier stuff is respectable, but I was wondering if these are good candidates for a zilch style upgrade, or I should leave them be and enjoy. :music:

Pics
3001318117_123c15bb7d_b.jpg

3001318657_7e1de3923a_b.jpg

3002157094_4670c5766a_b.jpg
 
Hey guys
Picked these up months ago at a local thrift store. I am finally getting around to re-foaming them to see how they sound. The cabinets are a rather sturdy walnut covered MDF, and the 10 inch woofer seems well built enough with a decent magnet. The mid is in fine shape behind the grille, but the dome tweeter has wrinkles in it as if it was pushed in and pulled back out.

Does anybody have any experience with this era Jensen? I know their earlier stuff is respectable, but I was wondering if these are good candidates for a zilch style upgrade, or I should leave them be and enjoy. :music:

Pics
3001318117_123c15bb7d_b.jpg

3001318657_7e1de3923a_b.jpg

3002157094_4670c5766a_b.jpg
 
Upgrading the crossovers is a breeze, simply replace with poly caps of your choosing, solder then hot glue into place.

I've bypassed tone controls on my Epi's, but not knowing the sonic signature of these, I'd probably leave that alone.

If foam is still intact, a good beating with some bass-heavy stuff should let you know if they're okay. If so, go with it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I got a pair of these also from a thrift store.
The foam on the woofers is rotted out, and as this was the best resource I could possibly find on these I figured I would sign up as I’m not really sure what to do.
I was able to test the voice coil and it seems fine, so I want to refoam them. I had asked a local speaker parts supplier about them and getting foam surrounds but now I’m wondering if that’s a good idea considering, as I understand it, they originally had pleated cloth surrounds? I’ve never refoamed speakers before so wondering if foam will work (I’d prefer to shop from them but they only have foam), or if I should get something closer to what was on them originally (and where to find that if so).

I know this thread is a little old so no worries if I don’t get a reply, but I’ll appreciate any advice. Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom