• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Can you trust your ears

Register to hide this ad
Cool video, the brain is an amazing thing. I don't take these things as detrimental as some might.
 
The first one has nothing to do with your ears, that has to do with how the brain prioritizes the senses.

Close your eyes, or actively LISTEN rather the hear, and you won't be fooled.

Edit: well actually, they continue to try and confuse you with visuals, just stop registering what you see, this is a LISTENING test remember :D

The circle one didn't fool me.

I think I'm too used to messing with synthesizers to be fooled by the rising tone test.
 
Last edited:
This could make reasonable people question explanations of the Doppler Effect. And then it's similar accepted effects on spectral shift in astronomy. Maybe all those stars and galaxies aren't moving away from us. MAYBE THEY'RE ALL HEADED STRAIGHT AT US!?! :saywhat::cry:
 
The first one has nothing to do with your ears, that has to do with how the brain prioritizes the senses.

Close your eyes, or actively LISTEN rather the hear, and you won't be fooled.

But, that is precisely the point why blind testing is so hotly debated. That just goes to show how easy it is to make a false conclusion in a sighted test when only hearing should be the determining factor.
 
But, that is precisely the point why blind testing is so hotly debated. That just goes to show how easy it is to make a false conclusion in a sighted test when only hearing should be the determining factor.

It does show that eyes can be a problem, if you forget to change modes when listening.
Normally the brain defaults to trusting vision over all other senses, but if you don't register what you see, the problem goes away.

As soon as you are aware of this, you can eliminate your "visual" bias, if we can call it that.

Everyone can do this by simply closing their eyes.

Edit: on the other hand, those tests show visuals that make sense in a certain way, a ball jumping up a stair way, or mouth movements that fit a certain sound.

But does a speaker or amp appear to have a certain sound, which could confuse you? or is it just an inanimate object?

I mean, If the looks of my speakers overruled what I was hearing, I'd think they sounded like utter junk, because that is what they look like.
But they don't sound like junk, and their sound doesn't change because I close my eyes.
Not seeing (by closing my eyes or not noticing what I see) does allow me to listen more carefully though.
 
Last edited:
But does a speaker or amp appear to have a certain sound, which could confuse you? or is it just an inanimate object?

Biases, such as expectation bias, are known factors. They are often dismissed in discussions of audio, but that doesn't mean the biases don't exist.
 
Certainly can't trust someone else's ears, and when it comes to my music I trust nothing else but my ears.
 
I wonder how a blind person would do on this test? Especially one whom has never had sight. Interesting tests. The BAR-FAR example was pretty convincing. And the infinite octave climb was amazing.
 
On another forum, some people pulled the expectation bias card all the time (donno if they still do).
They used it as another way of saying that, they don't believe you are able to tell anything with any kind of certainty (but they them selves are, and they assume that everyone hears the same thing, unless deluded).

I also remember last time is was discussed on this forum, and went too far, with serious consequences.

It very easily ends up in circular augmentation that leads nowhere.
 
Back
Top Bottom