• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cap ID help please

AkanameJones

New Member
Hello All,

I promise I won't make a habit of this, but I'm just trying organize a pile of old components I've got. Does anyone recognize these? My first guess would be Sprague given the color, but I've never seen a Sprague cap that isn't marked as such or with this "logo". As you can also see there is variation in the direction of the stamping. Thanks for the had you guys, this is a small thing, but I am always blown away by the depth of knowledge on this site.


J
 

Attachments

  • Caps.jpg
    Caps.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 56
Register to hide this ad
However, to address your actual question, I don't recognize the markings but they appear to have been made in the USA. Other than that, who knows? The difference in labeling direction doesn't mean much, they could have been from different production runs or different production lines.

The "8912" in the number is probably a date code (12th month of 1989).

As far as longevity, heck, I have some 'lytics from the 1970s that are still good. I probably wouldn't use them in a permanent application but they are fine to use for troubleshooting. or non-critical projects.

If you can measure them and they measure OK, I'd save them, too.

Doug
 
However, to address your actual question, I don't recognize the markings but they appear to have been made in the USA. Other than that, who knows? The difference in labeling direction doesn't mean much, they could have been from different production runs or different production lines.

The "8912" in the number is probably a date code (12th month of 1989).

As far as longevity, heck, I have some 'lytics from the 1970s that are still good. I probably wouldn't use them in a permanent application but they are fine to use for troubleshooting. or non-critical projects.

If you can measure them and they measure OK, I'd save them, too.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thank you. Yeah I'm going to use them for practice. They are measuring very well so I might as well use em. At this stage I am just beginning to begin to learn, so its nice to have a lot of fodder to experiment with!

J
 
However, to address your actual question, I don't recognize the markings but they appear to have been made in the USA. Other than that, who knows? The difference in labeling direction doesn't mean much, they could have been from different production runs or different production lines.

The "8912" in the number is probably a date code (12th month of 1989).

As far as longevity, heck, I have some 'lytics from the 1970s that are still good. I probably wouldn't use them in a permanent application but they are fine to use for troubleshooting. or non-critical projects.

If you can measure them and they measure OK, I'd save them, too.

Doug
Thats what I do with caps I've had for a very long time. They get used in power supplies I'm building and dialing in. Once done, they get removed for new of the same values. I've got a bag of NOS caps I've used short term. Some with wires attached, bypass caps still soldered on them, etc. Some do get used in non critical things too though.
 
Back
Top Bottom