• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cap recommendations for EPI 90/100 speakers

pdxtim

Well-Known Member
What should I use to replace the 10 uF caps in my EPI 90 speakers, as shown in the first picture below? EPI 90s are essentially the same as the EPI 100, from what I understand.

Also, should I replace the yellow 2 uF cap pictured below? It was added along with the small black tweeter by Speaker Works in Eugene Oregon many years ago. Not sure exactly why they added the small tweeter but the speakers do sound good. Thanks for any help in advance. IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1068.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm very curious as to where the added super tweeter mounts? Front or back? Does it help?

Also, that main capacitor should be replaced. Not a brand that ages well. While I might get some flack for this, I'd use a poly cap. But, I wouldn't recommend the PE Dayton 5% caps. Too sibilant to me. I'd try an Audyn Q4, of a Jantzen CrossCap, or if me, a ClarityCap CSA.

Good luck. :)
 
The black and red capacitor for the original tweeter are notoriously prone to fail, probably why they added the other tweeter. I would replace black & red capacitor and remove the additional tweeter completely to bring them back to their original configuration. If the original tweeters themselves not working, replace those instead of using the one that they have added.

As far as the 10uf capacitor, I tend to use Parts Express electrolytes on a lot of my EPI'S. Or you splurge for some Dayton polys if you like. I love EPI's but I don't know if I would spend big bucks on boutique capacitors for them.
 
Last edited:
I once did a charged coupled crossover with an EPI 100 with cheap electrolytics, sounded very nice.

Anything is really an upgrade over the original. I've used KZK poly caps with excellent results.
 
I'm very curious as to where the added super tweeter mounts? Front or back? Does it help?

Also, that main capacitor should be replaced. Not a brand that ages well. While I might get some flack for this, I'd use a poly cap. But, I wouldn't recommend the PE Dayton 5% caps. Too sibilant to me. I'd try an Audyn Q4, of a Jantzen CrossCap, or if me, a ClarityCap CSA.

Good luck. :)
The super tweeter (I learned something, didn't know that's what it's called :thumbsup:) is mounted as pictured, just below and to left of original tweeter. As far as I can tell it sounds pretty good. I think I will though disconnect the super tweeter, replace the main cap, and then compare it to the other speaker and see what sounds best. Thanks for the help Stimpy!
 
The super tweeter (I learned something, didn't know that's what it's called :thumbsup:) is mounted as pictured, just below and to left of original tweeter. As far as I can tell it sounds pretty good. I think I will though disconnect the super tweeter, replace the main cap, and then compare it to the other speaker and see what sounds best. Thanks for the help Stimpy!

It looks like an Audax tweeter, similar to the tweeter in my Boston Acoustics A40 speakers. But, once you get your EPI's recapped, I doubt that you'll need it. With that 2.0uF cap, it's high pass crossover point is above 9K. Not much going on at those frequencies.
 
It looks like an Audax tweeter, similar to the tweeter in my Boston Acoustics A40 speakers. But, once you get your EPI's recapped, I doubt that you'll need it. With that 2.0uF cap, it's high pass crossover point is above 9K. Not much going on at those frequencies.
So it sounds like I oughta remove the super tweeter and the yellow 2 uF cap after I replace the black 10 uF cap?
 
So it sounds like I oughta remove the super tweeter and the yellow 2 uF cap after I replace the black 10 uF cap?

I'd definitely remove them. That EPI tweeter is very good, so once you recap, it won't need any extra help to sound correct.

Oh yea, those black/red caps are horrible. I preach against them every chance I get. Muted, distorted, and rolled off, after they age. It's no wonder the EPI's needed the help, with those caps in there.
 
Last edited:
I agree with the others. The EPI tweeter is really pretty good...not harsh at all but not limiting clarity either. I have recapped a number of speakers for myself or one of my sons. If I am going to go to the trouble to do it, I try to use a decent capacitor. I have used Solen and Dayton with good luck. On better speakers I like the entry level Clarity PX caps. On Madisound the Solen 10 is ~$7, the Clarity PX is ~$8. I am not sure you would hear a sonic difference but for a dollar or two more I alway choose the better cap. Good luck!
 
On a different note, looking at the age of the tweeters, seems you might have rubber surrounds on the woofers. Be sure to closely inspect them to make sure that there are no splits in the rubber, especially where they attach to the frame. Maybe because of the dry Colorado air, but I have yet to find any rubber surround EPI woofers that didn't need the surrounds replaced.
 
Back
Top Bottom