• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Capacitors

SpareRibs

New Member
Hello,
I am working on an amp, it has the can containing 4 capacitors withdifferent values. My question being, would I be able to add additional value bysoldering capacitors between the existing ones and ground? That would be less confusing than removing and replacing the whole can.
Thank you in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
Sure you could, but that old can is likely way past it's prime and needs replaced anyhow. If you just add to what's there, you still have that ticking time bomb.
 
just unhook all the old wireing to the can and add NEW caps but leave the can intact disconnected. Or re-stuff the can but get rid of the old caps inside.
 
SpareRibs, the solution you're proposing was used countless times by fast-buck artists in the TV repair trade in years past. They *usually* got away with it because the most common failure mode is open-circuit due to loss of electrolyte. So, to quote another kind of artist: "Do you feel lucky?"
 
SpareRibs, the solution you're proposing was used countless times by fast-buck artists in the TV repair trade in years past. They *usually* got away with it because the most common failure mode is open-circuit due to loss of electrolyte. So, to quote another kind of artist: "Do you feel lucky?"

I've even seen it used in a guitar amp I rebuilt. Not something that I would do but oh well.
 
I've tried this. Yeah I know better, but I've made attempts to quickly tack a cap across the bottom of the old can to silence a hum while tinkering. It helps significantly if the old cap is totally open, but for whatever reason, it never ever works as well as just ditching the old cap completely and replacing it. I assume it has to do with internal leakages.
 
Hello,
OK removed the can and wired in capacitors- all the values were on the side of the
can. When I opened the can it looked like a battery that had swollen and burst.
Thanks everyone, I would not have undertaken such a task if not advised that what
I had in mind was more of a band aid as opposed to an actual repair.
Thank each an every one of you very much!!!!!!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom