• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Capping "modern" speakers

1Toolfan

Active Member
I have a set of Sony TL3s, should these be recapped? I looked at the Caps and they appear a more modern looking cap, they are shiny blue/green not the older looking black caps, does this matter?
Thanks in advance of your comments, which are greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Paradigm is a well regarded Canadian brand of speakers. https://www.paradigm.com/downloads/TONE_Monitor9_Review.pdf
If they're in good condition and you like the sound, $200 seems reasonable to me.

Those Sony speakers are over 30 years old, near as I can determine. The capacitors in the crossover look to be electrolytic, so replacement would probably be in order. Select good quality film caps like Audyn from Parts Express. If you want to use electrolytics like the originals, try Meniscus Audio 5% tolerance caps. Parts Express also might have electrolytics but they are 10% tolerance. If you don't find exact capacitors in either film or electrolytics, you can parallel two to reach the required values.
 
Paradigm is a well regarded Canadian brand of speakers. https://www.paradigm.com/downloads/TONE_Monitor9_Review.pdf
If they're in good condition and you like the sound, $200 seems reasonable to me.

Those Sony speakers are over 30 years old, near as I can determine. The capacitors in the crossover look to be electrolytic, so replacement would probably be in order. Select good quality film caps like Audyn from Parts Express. If you want to use electrolytics like the originals, try Meniscus Audio 5% tolerance caps. Parts Express also might have electrolytics but they are 10% tolerance. If you don't find exact capacitors in either film or electrolytics, you can parallel two to reach the required values.
Do you think the Paradigms will need recapped?
 
Might be worth considering. The speakers are about 20 years old and the OEM caps are electrolytic. It's possible you could access the crossovers by removing the binding post plates on the back of the cabinet. Otherwise removing the lower woofer should do it.
 
Do you think the Paradigms will need recapped?

I have Paradigm Monitor 9 V1 speakers I bought new about 22 years ago. I recapped the original electrolytic caps with metalized poly caps and it made a big difference. They sound much better now.

Original crossover:
IMG_0066 small.JPG

New larger, replacement caps fit. You just have to be creative. In hindsight, I should have left more of a gap between the new caps and the resistors. I could have done that by leaving the cap leads longer with the caps a bit further away from the PCB. I do not play these loud, so I doubt the tweeter resistors get too hot.
Paradigm Monitor 9 recapped IMG_0156 small.JPG
 
Audyn caps are good caps and won't break the bank. I use them a lot along with some Dayton's.
 
I have Paradigm Monitor 9 V1 speakers I bought new about 22 years ago. I recapped the original electrolytic caps with metalized poly caps and it made a big difference. They sound much better now.

Original crossover:
View attachment 2751022

New larger, replacement caps fit. You just have to be creative. In hindsight, I should have left more of a gap between the new caps and the resistors. I could have done that by leaving the cap leads longer with the caps a bit further away from the PCB. I do not play these loud, so I doubt the tweeter resistors get too hot.
View attachment 2751023

Nice work!

next time you are in there, may want to consider replacing those white resistors with either Dayton audio green wire wound or MILLS Wire wound.
 
Back
Top Bottom