• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Caps with +100 -10% tolerance

mrki

Active Member
I am just in the process of ordering elco capacitors for my newcomer, 2238. Most of them are +-20% tolerance, but there are also those with tolerance +100 -10%. They are onboard voltage filters (100uF, 470uF). Problem is that I cann't find them for ordering so I wonder whether to replace them with the usual tolerance capacitors, replace them with higher capacity caps or something else?
 
Register to hide this ad
I am now wondering the same thing: how to replace +100/-10% tolerance caps? I am sure +/-10% would work, but I really can't find either in the Nichicon FG series.

Will +/-20% work (well enough)?

I am just in the process of ordering elco capacitors for my newcomer, 2238. Most of them are +-20% tolerance, but there are also those with tolerance +100 -10%. They are onboard voltage filters (100uF, 470uF). Problem is that I cann't find them for ordering so I wonder whether to replace them with the usual tolerance capacitors, replace them with higher capacity caps or something else?
 
I am now wondering the same thing: how to replace +100/-10% tolerance caps? I am sure +/-10% would work, but I really can't find either in the Nichicon FG series.

Will +/-20% work (well enough)?

No problem using a replacement capacitor with 2X (i.e., 100%) the capacity of the original and 20% tolerance.
 
No problem using a replacement capacitor with 2X (i.e., 100%) the capacity of the original and 20% tolerance.

Still can't quite match them, how about:

220uf +100/-10% replace with 470uF +/-20%
100uf +100/-10% replace with 220uF +/-20%
47uf +100/-10% replace with 100uF +/-20%
22uf +100/-10% replace with 47uF +/-20%

Too big?
 
Still can't quite match them, how about:

220uf +100/-10% replace with 470uF +/-20%
100uf +100/-10% replace with 220uF +/-20%
47uf +100/-10% replace with 100uF +/-20%
22uf +100/-10% replace with 47uF +/-20%

Too big?

Those values are fine.
 
No problem using a replacement capacitor with 2X (i.e., 100%) the capacity of the original and 20% tolerance.

That is good information to know. :thmbsp:

I replaced +100-10 capacitors in one of my receivers with +-10% of the same capacitance and wondered if that was the best solution. (At the time my second thought was to increase capacitance by 10% and use +-20% caps.) Although the unit sounds great as is, I think I will go back and uprate the capacitance of the +100-10 caps and hear how it sounds.
 
Those values are fine.

Yeah, the values are fine but... on some positions on PCBs there isn't enough room for that caps.
Suppose you need 22uF/16V which dimensions are 5X10 mm. This capacity/voltage combination is hard to find. So you ordered 47uF/25V (or 35) which is 6.5x11 mm. And guess what? It can't sit down on a PCB because of surrounding elements.
I have this situation on 2238's power amp board with two caps.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, the values are fine but... on some positions on PCBs there isn't enough room for that caps.
Suppose you need 22uF/16V which dimensions are 5X10 mm. This capacity/voltage combination is hard to find. So you ordered 47uF/25V (or 35) which is 6.5x11 mm. And guess what? It can't sit down on a PCB because of surrounding elements.
I have this situation on 2238's power amp board with two caps.

Yes, of course the available board real estate should be taken into consideration when choosing capacitors. If you are in need of a 47µF/25V or 35V capacitor with a 5mm diameter, here are two possibilities:

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...GAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22RH2kZvTh%2b0aZAYBTdQVA9s=

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22e0BBN1kF1oiTR0uzCI75qM=
 
Leestereo, thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it's a bit expensive for me to order the caps from Mouser. Shipping cost is too high for Croatia. Thus, I order a parts from Taiwan and Thailand, it's a much cheaper, but options are limited.
 
Back
Top Bottom