• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Car Tripod?

jocko_nc

Super Member
We've had a couple of CLEAR nights lately around here, I am getting the urge to head up to the Parkway for some night sky shots.

A year back I picked up a monster camera lens, a Tele-Takumar 1000 / F8. With the glare shield up, it about a meter long. I did build a tripod out of telescope parts, however it is useless for the sky (vertical), since I cannot get down low enough to properly work the camera.

So...

I am thinking about a camera mount that ties into the roof rack on the back of my Suburban. I could pick my spot and open the barn doors. Lots of room and the camera would be mounted nice and high. It is not like I would be lugging that lens and case very far anyway.

Anyone ever seen such a thing? As seen in the photos, it won't mount to the window.

Photos not mine, borrowed from the web for illustration.
 

Attachments

  • Takumar 1000.jpg
    Takumar 1000.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Takumar 1000 2.jpg
    Takumar 1000 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 12
Register to hide this ad
I think B&H or Adorama had some kind of camera mounts that could be clamped onto things. :scratch2: They might have something that could work for you.
 
They make clamp on car-window "tripod" mounts. I know that ABA (American Birding Association) has 'em; I am sure that B&H and/or Adorama will, too (as just stated above).
EDIT: Here's one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/190921-REG/Bushnell_784405.html or here's the kit n caboodle: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=window+mount&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Another handy option is to buy a collapsible walking stick that has a 1/4"-20 stud on top (usually underneath a screw-on hand grip). A "monopod" can come in handy on the trail (although of course it's not the best solution for big, big glass).

Here's an example: http://www.rei.com/product/745686
 
Last edited:
This thing is 7.5 kg...

I was thinking a folding VEE made out of wood that would extend back beyond the rear of the truck, with the legs locking under the rails of the roof rack. I could wedge a bean bag chair under the VEE to prop it up and give it a stable rest. Maybe I need a sketch.

I originally though of something that could mount into the receiver hitch same as a bike rack, but that is not high enough.

This thing is essentially a "6 inch" refractor telescope.
 

Attachments

  • Takumar_1000_8.jpg
    Takumar_1000_8.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom