• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge alignment on Technics SL-D2

markg

New Member
Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to re-mount a Shure M92E cartridge onto my Technics SL-D2 table, as I've noticed some distortion and I don't believe it was aligned correctly when installed. The manual shows that the spec for stylus overhang is 52mm between the stylus tip and the end of the headshell, but I don't have the tool that originally came with this table that is used for setting that. Is there some other way to do it? With a ruler maybe? Also, how would I go about setting the Azimuth? The manual doesn't describe this, and the cartridge sides are able to move independently from one another in this head shell, so it could easily be out. Would a downloadable alignment protractor for Vinylengine do it? However, I think I read something on there that said that Technics arms do not use Baerwald alignment, which is what the protractors use? I'm a beginner to all this so I'm a little confused.


Thanks,

Mark
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
You can order the overhang gauge at KAB and there is also a link on there for how to use it. If you use it properly, you shouldn't need a protractor.

Richard
 
G'day mate, yes some say that the Technics arms don't use Baerwald but I personally know of some that do!

Perhaps available slot space in the headshell is a factor. In any case you can download and print a number of different alignment protractors from the Vinyl Engine (Baerwald, Stevenson).

Ensure that your printer is scaled appropriately. Please have a read of this article re the correct usage of a two point protractor gauge as well. http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/vinyl07.html Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
It's not a matter of whether some Technics arms will use or not use a Baerwald protractor. Technics designed ALL their arms so that using the 52mm measurement would provide quick and easy alignment according to Technics's own geometry. However, a cartridge can be aligned on virtually any turntable using a Baerwald protractor IF the headshell and slots are long enough to accomodate the position of the cartridge, which will ALWAYS be forward of where the manufacturer's geometry would have positioned it.

Since Technics headshells (the later one with the slots and three holes) are longer and have longer slots than other Japanese vintage headshells, Technics users have a greater frequency of success getting the cartridge in the proper position with Baerwald than do users of other turntables. Both geometries are correct, will minimize distortion, and will not harm the records or the stylus. It's a matter of personal preference as to which method you use, but you choose one or the other, not a combination. If you decide to use a protractor, catman's article provides excellent instruction.

If you want to use the Technics measurement, a ruler is fine. 52mm comes out to 2". I've no doubt that they designed it like that on purpose.
 
Last edited:
So if I want to use the Technics method, do I need to try and order the overhang gauge that originally came with the table in order to correctly set the azimuth? The way I have it right now is I set the 52mm overhang with a ruler, and as far as setting the azimuth, I just eyeballed it, looked at the way the cartridge was sitting in relation to the headshell, and did my best by eye to make sure it was aligned. Is this good enough, or do I need the Technics guage to set this properly? The turntable manual makes no mention of setting azimuth with the Technics gauge, just the overhang.
 
So if I want to use the Technics method, do I need to try and order the overhang gauge that originally came with the table in order to correctly set the azimuth? The way I have it right now is I set the 52mm overhang with a ruler, and as far as setting the azimuth, I just eyeballed it, looked at the way the cartridge was sitting in relation to the headshell, and did my best by eye to make sure it was aligned. Is this good enough, or do I need the Technics guage to set this properly? The turntable manual makes no mention of setting azimuth with the Technics gauge, just the overhang.
If you can set the distance with a ruler, you don't need the overhang gauge. Neither the overhang gauge nor any protractor has anything to do with azimuth. You did it correctly--you simply adjust it the best you can by eyeballing it. There is no "official" azimuth setting, and it's rarely even an issue unless it's way off. If that's the case and you cannot get it close by just rotating the headshell within the small play that it has, you'd need to shim the cartridge with a piece of paper, cardboard, plastic, etc. But again, don't get hung up over azimuth.
 
Well, I played a couple of albums and thought it was sounding pretty good so I think I got it. Thanks for the help everybody.
 
Well I gotta ? - 52 MM - my OM for the PL-707 says 56MM?

It sounded like ALL Technics arms are set at 52 mm but my OM says 56 mm.

Whats up with that?

Cheers,

Bob
 
Well I gotta ? - 52 MM - my OM for the PL-707 says 56MM?

It sounded like ALL Technics arms are set at 52 mm but my OM says 56 mm.

Whats up with that?

Cheers,

Bob
Yours is a Pioneer and a straight arm. Each manufacturer designs the tt with different measurements.
 
Back
Top Bottom