• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

cartridge clips

music247

Member
Trying to source some inexpensive cartridge clips in my quest to install new lead wires. Can anyone point me to some generics that will fit the approx 1.25mm pins? I'm seeking the kind of wire terminal which can be expanded with a toothpick if need be.
 
Register to hide this ad
Trying to source some inexpensive cartridge clips in my quest to install new lead wires. Can anyone point me to some generics that will fit the approx 1.25mm pins? I'm seeking the kind of wire terminal which can be expanded with a toothpick if need be.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I'm cheap :-) $7 for the set + $5 for shipping is $12 I can spend on gas. I have some wire laying around, and can get the soldering iron going. So I'm just looking for the clips. There seems to be lots of the female quick disconnects, but I'm hoping to find the barrel/ferrule type that have the split.
 

Attachments

  • split_ferrule.jpg
    split_ferrule.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 31
I must be getting old, I think I used to see these things at radio shack, 50 of them for $5 or so. I'm just looking for the tin or aluminum type, gold and rhodium is above my pay grade :-)
 
If my caliper is giving me a correct dimension, it looks like I've got 18-20 AWG hook up wire. This is a bit thicker than most cartridge leads. Can those of you who know more about this let me know if it's going to be OK (it's stranded), or if I need to find the really thin stuff.
 
Agreed, Needlestein. It can 'transmit vibration' — but does it? And if it does, is it enough to be audible?

All vinyl replay involves many little compromises. At the same time, doing everything theoretically right is the true Tao, whether you can hear it or not.
I can only speak for myself, but it really bothers me when I know I can make something better, and even if I can't hear the benefit, I just have to do it.
 
Automotive stuff fits very nicely. I found some very nice snap fit clips that are very cheap and sold in quantities. I soldered the wires and covered with shrink wrap. Looks almost pro.
Available at auto parts stores.
 
Automotive stuff fits very nicely. Looks almost pro.
I'm all for improvisation. And the gold plating does not enhance conductivity: it's there to prevent corrosion. Plating can also create an electrolytic effect between the two different metals. Bare copper clips, with one of the liquid contact enhancers, would work very well.
 
I'm all for improvisation. And the gold plating does not enhance conductivity: it's there to prevent corrosion. Plating can also create an electrolytic effect between the two different metals. Bare copper clips, with one of the liquid contact enhancers, would work very well.

Can you point me to copper clips? I've never come across them.
 
Have you considered the kits for replacing tonearm wires? That would get you the small wire (30 AWG or less) and the clips are already soldered to the ends. If you are going to the trouble of replacing the wiring, why not do it well so that it probably won't have to be redone in the next 15 to 20 years?
 
I hadn't considered that, but if I end up making more than one set, can get pricey to buy all the wire. I can cut the wire, but I'd need more clips.
 
The clips came in and I ended up installing 3 of them because the green and white original clips were also broken from the wires. Very easy to install. The hardest part was stripping the wires because they are extremely thin. The shrink tube looks good as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom