• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cartridge differences

NYListens

CBGB & OMFUG
I am curious as to exactly what difference a cartridge can make in terms of sound. There seems to be such a large variation in terms of price and I would like to hear from those of you who have tried a lot of different ones, exactly the type of differences you hear. I have very minimal experience in this area.
 
Register to hide this ad
Oh man, this is a big topic. I'll tell you a few of the things I've heard as I've tried various cartridges.

None of them sound exactly alike, they all have some kind of sonic character. I know, this is evidence of an imperfect cartridge, as ideally they should all sound the same and perfectly neutral. But we don't live in an ideal world, unless we happen to have about $15,000 for a top-of-the-line Koetsu, then things might become ideal. :D

One of the first things I noticed when I upgraded to a Dynavector 10X5 was much better resolution, it sounded as if someone had opened up a window, ie much, much clearer. At the same time you'll probably notice better frequency extension, depending on what you're using, but IME at first it's most noticeable in the higher frequencies.

Then of course there's detail, more of it, the noticeable kind you already knew was there but can now hear better, and possibly the inner detail in a song you've been listening to for years, yet you never noticed it before. Imaging improves, meaning you'll hear better separation between instruments, and hopefully more "air" or space around them. I found this to be the most striking improvement with my Grado Platinum, and I love it. This can go hand in hand with soundstage, where things sound like they're placed in specific spots, a more three-dimensional sound. Some cartridges struggle with this, and a lot of it also has to do with speaker placement and room acoustics.

The better cartridges I've heard have better dynamics, but this is not necessarily simply about impact. I don't know about you, but a lot of times when I think about dynamics in relation to audio I immediately start thinking about the impact of, say, percussion instruments. But there's more, or there should be at least. Cartridges described as more "refined" (often used to describe MC cartridges) move away from the loudness of bass, for example, trading it for definition and realism. Of course MM cartridges can do this too, but the ones I've heard tend to do the impact aspect of dynamics better than definition and realism. This is NOT to say there aren't lots of MM cartridges that provide excellent definition and realism.

Although not always the case, what you should have with a better cartridge is a better tracker. I can't think of one instance where my Dynavector mis-tracked, even on very warped records. On the other hand, my Grado Platinum, as much as I love it, is rather disappointing in that regard.

Finally, and not insignificantly, it should look cool. :thmbsp:
 
I don't have extensive experience with a lot of low and high priced carts. But even my limited experience with less than 10 different carts has given me a wide variation in sound.

I would agree that MC carts provide better definition (at least the ones I've tried) compared to MM carts (again the ones I've tried).

And then there is the matter of cart/tonearm matching.

My Shure M95ED didn't perform well on my old Dual 1009. Actually, it performed adequately when the TT was standing on it's front side of the plinth. As the plinth was rather big and the front panel had more than 5" height, it made a decent base for the TT. The tonearm was well balanced so it tracked well even vertically oriented.

I've heard lot's of opinions as to why a cart might sound bad:
VTF
VTA
Tracking angle error
Antiscating force error
Mismatch between cart compliance and tonearm effective mass
Bad suspension on the TT

So, a good sounding cart might sound really bad when one or all of the above our out of spec.

I have been able to personally confirm really bad performance from a cart when VTF is inadequate. Before it becomes an issue with tracking, the highs prevail (actually distortion in the highs prevail) and drum hits generate distortion or tracking errors.

I have compared the following carts:
Shure M44G
Shure M95ED
Stanton 500
Stanton 681 (EE, EEE-S)
Ortofon OM10
Ortofon MC10
Ortofon MC15
Ortofon MC20

On the following TTs
Dual 1009
Electron (poor excuse for a TT)
Revox B790/791/795)
Luxman PD272
Thorens TD180

The MC carts I've tried win hands down. The MC20 might have been slightly better in definition and body but even the MC10 is quite similar and enjoyable.
The Shures are slightly better than the Stantons.
All MM carts I've tried are way worse than the MCs. As Mr.Lin stated, the MMs are more boomy and in my expression "muddy" and fuzzy.
 
Good evening, I'll add another factor...electrical 'loading'. Testing with my own M97xE's leaves me in no doubt about the importance of optimal resistive and capacitive loading.

In the case of the M97xE, the standard 47 k is definitely not optimum in my opinion. I use 62 k along with the Shure recommended shunt capacitance loading. Regards, (Felix) aka 'catman'.
 
Since catching the HiFi bug in the late 60's I've used more than 40 cartridges that I can specifically remember.

The only thing I'd add to what's been said is the audio qualities of a cartridge are often very much dependant on your associated equipment, the better and more compatible the components in your audio chain, the more you'll hear from a cartridge. Also every piece of equipment in your audio chain has its own unique coloration, nothing is truly neutral. So a cartridge that sounds great in one system might sound just okay in another. Add to that personal preference and you'll find audiophiles often disagree on what sounds good.

Usually the more you spend on a cartridge, the better it will sound, but there are exceptions and they are regularly pointed out here on this forum. Generally speaking it's reasonable to match an inexpensive cartridge to entry level components and of course high-end components deserve a much better cartridge.

Dave
 
I am curious as to exactly what difference a cartridge can make in terms of sound. There seems to be such a large variation in terms of price and I would like to hear from those of you who have tried a lot of different ones, exactly the type of differences you hear. I have very minimal experience in this area.

What Mr. Lin & others have said!

Basically 3 things. Naturalness/neutrality, transparency/clarity/detailing, dynamic response/liveliness.
Many pick-ups may do the first and fewer also the second, the 3rd is usually where the moving coil and Grado pick-up cartridges also excel. The second is also where a better stylus option will have an effect, related to tracing accucacy generally and particularly with the more compacted inner groove section. The quality of the associated arm and turntable make an escalating difference in all 3 categories as the quality of the system and expectations of the user increase. Proper turntable/arm/cartridge set-up and record/stylus cleanliness/hygeine always matter.
S.B.
 
Other than speakers, the cart has the most distinctive effect on the playback sound. Generally, a manufacturer 'voices' their carts to sound a certain way. You'll need to figure out what sort of 'voicing' you like and want and people here can help guide you on a better selection than not.

To me Shure = rolled off highs (to a degree) and sounds good on a bright system.

AudioTechnica = bright highs and sounds good on a bassy system.

Others may disagree with the above.
 
A good mm will give you a well rounded sound.Coherance.A good mc will add detail.The attack and decay of notes will be faster.Often the high end 20k and above will be higher.This mates well with tubes who roll off the high end.
The third catagory mi can also sound very good.Faster than mm but slower than a mc cart.It is more linear from 20k up.
Any of the above sound better low output.
I own all three types.I use a grado statement sonata.It lo output mi.
What you need to decide is how much do i want to spend.Then how do i want my system to sound.Then ask around for idea's that will get you what you want.Your taste.Its just like wine or beer its just the flavour you want.
I like warmth.I got several Grado's the platinum an sonata.I have the style i like.If i were too look at another line it would be the benz line of mc's.Again a warm by reputation cart.
The most important thing is to get the best deck you can afford.Next the best phono pre amp you can get .Then your cart.In that order.Trust me this is what linn used to say and i found this myself.I have a 30 buck at cart that sounds killer on my scout with my hagerman cornet 2.I could listen to that combo all day.Remember good deck good phono pre,whatever's left over goes on the cart.
 
Back
Top Bottom